Help With Ladder Stand Installation!

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by Believer, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Ok, all you experts I just got a ladder stand for Christmas. It's a Gorilla Kong II 16ft.
    I've never assembled or installed one before and i'm wondering if it's best to take the box into the woods with me and assemble it or if I should assemble as much of it as possible at home and then finish it on site. I'm kind of leaning toward Assembly at home.

Thanks & God bless!

Eric

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    B. Without question.

3. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    I Put Mine Together At Home Except The Bottom Ladder Part Try To Get Another Person To Help You Put It Into The Tree. You Will Like It I Have Three Of Them.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Don't try it in the woods. To easy to drop screw and nuts in the leaves.

If you have a truck without a cap on it then you can do it at home. You will have all the tools you need, and the driveway makes for a good place to spread things out.

If you have a cap in your truck it may not fit, depending on the bed size. If that is the case, assemble it on the tailgate near where you hunt. The tailgate makes a nice work platform.

One word of advice I NEVER follow; read the directions! LOL!! There are usually a lot of similar size pieces and similar size screws that can mess you up if you use the wrong one. Make sure that the hooks from the ratchet strap are secure where they affix to the stand. I usually add a second ratchet strap because I am a "worry wart!"

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Put it together at home, like everyone else said too easy to lose something.
    You shouldnt have to do anything but put the ladder together in the woods.
    I had to check it out, looks like a good one.

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Eric, these things can be pretty spooky to put up by yourself. They look like you can just lean them against a tree, climb up, and strap 'em on...doesn't work that way. Take a buddy if you can. If that's not possible, strap it to the tree as you work your way up the ladder.

7. stoney

stoney New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    at home for sure....

8. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Thanks guys!

I've got it 95% assembled here in my living room, now I just need to get someone to help me carry it a 1/4 mile into the woods and set it up!
    Any volunteers? :big_smile_2:

9. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    A little spray oil on the places where the tubes of the ladder slide together makes the job much easier. I have put up a dozen or so and moved loads with my brother. Even with two people its a chore. Cut a small two inch sapling about 6 or 7 feet long to brace under the top rung of the ladder as you start walking it up the tree. as you get higher up the tree, move the sapling down under a lower rung and push up to get the ladder where you want it and level. Take extra non stretch rope to the ladder to tie the ladder down with and have a piece left over long enough to hoist your gun, bow, and groceries up in the stand. have fun and good luck.

10. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I got it up tonight.
    Thanks for all the advice!