help with jug fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by katkiller77, Jan 30, 2008.

1. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    i am going to try jug fishing this year advice please

2. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Well Rick the way I do it is get a gallon milk jug, tie a line too it and then a hook. I use a 4/0 circle. Put some bait on it and throw it out in the creek. In Indiana you can have no more than five jugs. Name, address and I think phone # must be on the jug and you have to keep constant visual of them. We can not jug fish in lakes. When you see the jug bouncing around, go get it. I place differant baits on differant jugs and have differant lengths of line.
    That's about it.

3. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    thanks mark i am going to try that i have a spool of 30 lb :smile2:trilene big game laying around try that for jugging. i will try crawlers liver or gills first thanks for the advice help out my boredom while bottom fishing

4. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    i have seen you video on you tube already i have 4 or 5 milk jugs saved already for that. very helpful video paul thanks that what peaked my interest i can jug while i bottom fish from the bank kill time.

5. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    katkiller..I do a little jug fishing when my freezer gets low on catfish..I made my jugs out of the 4" swimming noodles. I cut them into, I think, 20" pieces. I then use a ice pick and make a hole about 2" from the top of the noodle that I run my line through and tie off. I then let the line go through the center of the noodle to come out the other end. This will allow the noodle to stand straight up when it gets a bite.I try to make them about 3 to 5' long. I have used circles and straight hooks but have the best luck using trebel hooks with a swivel with hot dogs. I take the treble hook and push the eye through the hot dog then clip it on the swivel. I also have a small weight attached a few inches above the hook swivel just to hold the bait down in the current. Remember to take the treble hooks off when you are done fishing. They stay sharper that way. I have caught 22 pound fish with these noodles and my hook ups have gone way up putting the treble through the hotdog. The hotdog is not broken and will not fall apart in the water..They will take them under but they will come up within seconds. I did have two that went under and did not come back up. I found them weeks later laying up on the bank..both had the swivels broke and the hook gone. Well, at least I know there is not a very large fish out there with my noodle hanging off his lip. Don't forget to put your name and address on the noodle. It's state law here in Missouri. It is a lot of fun running 15 to 20 noodles when you have two or three standing straight up going up stream! Hope this helps.

6. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Rick,
    You need to check out WILD WOLF PRODUCTS one of the sponcers of the BOC . Gene Anderson is the owner of the company , Gene is a long time member of the BOC . Gene has fishing jug kits that he sells on his web site. The design of Genes jugs are one of the best I have ever seen. I have over 50 of them they are a lot of fun . I cought hunderds of lbs. of cats last year, 4 - 20 lbs. Thease pop up jugs of Gene's can be used day or night, glow sticks at night, and red flags for daylight hours. They will cost you more money than milk jugs , but they are well worth what it cost when you see how well they work. If you doin't find the web site send me a pm and I will get it for you.

7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Louisvillerider---------- What was you using for bait on those jugs?? That was a great video. I run jugs at night using crawlers and chicken liver for bait. Can't use crawlers during the day as the bluegill and other baitstealers will clean the hooks. I enjoyed that video as it's 9 degrees up here and that made me forget its winter. Thanks.

Katkiller -- I use foam blocks cut on band saw 3" x 4" x 14" long for jugs. I RTVed 2 1/2" reflectors to the top of jugs. They really stick out real well when you hit them with a spot light. The foam came from a concrete contractors dumpster. Free - Free is always good. They are that hard blue Styrofoam which is easy to write on with a regular ink pen. I have some closed foam ones too, they are hard to write on [ name/address/phone# ] even with a magic marker. thats why I like the hard foam. The soft closed foam works great to put hooks in when storing.

We used to use 20 oz pop bottles. They make good jugs. 1 gallon milk jugs are awful big. If you use something like plastic pop bottles, you can put a little sand in them. When you set them out, lay them flat on the water, when you get a hit the sand will run to the end and leave it standing up. Then when you check your jugs, you will know which ones will need bait, even when no fish is on. You will know something hit that jug.

If you are with in site of them all the time, it don't matter. I will cover a bay, in all the good spots, then check them every couple hours at night.most bays I fish are easily 500+ acres. We have to check each one to make sure the bait was not stole.

I only use jugs in TN and if my memory is right, they don't BS ya with lots of stupid rules on how many jugs your allowed, or how many hooks on a trot line or other methods, they just say you are allowed 100 hooks a man. Hey if you run 100 hooks, you are going to be bait poor, and that's like working. Fishing is supposed to be fun -- not work. lol

:big_smile::wink::big_smile:

I hope this helps.

8. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The video was pretty good thanks for sharing...We use a version of this if anyone would like to talk more about it PM me... I usually don't discuss on the board as Jug Lining gets over used and left in our waters to much by fisherman that just don't care... The only thing I would suggest is an extension hook to grab your drop line with, this makes getting your jugs much easier and you don't have to get so close to the jug scaring the fish...

Check out the sponsor we have on the BOC Jugs by Burt, he has a really nice compact jug that he offers at a reasonal price...

9. chadf

chadf New Member

State:
    Bossier, La
    I think they coved the jugs pretty good. You may want to add a lil spray foam just incase a jug gets punctured or something it will float better. Also find an old brim buster or other telescoping pole and JB weld a hook(i prefer 1/8 or larger welding rod)on the end. Makes it a whole lot easier to pick up the jugs.

10. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a garden thing I use to pick up jugs with. I think it has like 4 or 5 heavy prongs, it's made to like scratch the dirt with. I bent the ends in a little so its like a hand evtension. Works great, got at auction for a couple bucks and the best part is it has " Made In USA ' on it in big letters. It was a brand new 30 year old tool when I got it. lol

I mostly work the jugs by myself at night so a person needs a hand extension, It also helps to have a boat with a center console, so you can work around the boat. Then just bump the throttle and turn the wheel from wherever. I know that is not the safe way to do it but it works for me.

I also have a generator on the boat powering 6 500 watt quartz lights so I can see around the boat pretty well working at night. The bays I fish are empty of people at night usually. Once in a while those folks that bow hunt carp will be out. Now those boys have some lights on there boats. Most of them have 8 500 watt lights on each side. They look like a flying saucer landed on the lake. LOL LOL

Hope this helps.

:big_smile::big_smile:

11. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I use 3in noodles cut about 12ins long that gives me five jugs take a wire hanger and cut it in the shape of a j then push it length wise threw one side.youll have the hook onthe bottom place a swivel on the hook.now bend the hook back into the bottom.u should have 3inchs hanging out of the other end.take a craft bell and put it on that end and bend it back into the noodle.now take 1in reflective tape and wrap the end with the bell on it u can hear it and see it along way.use minnows and leeches:cool2:

12. bc179whitetail

bc179whitetail New Member

State:
    St.Louis Missouri
    Rick

I made some out of 4 inch pvc pipe with caps on both ends before you glue caps on drill a hole and use an eyebolt on one end. Put washers or rubber gromets on each side to seal hole. If you use washers put a little silcone at the hole before you tighten up the nuts. They are a little expensive but last forever. Good luck.

13. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    If you can jug on lakes, be sure to check you depth finder(if you have one) and find what depth the fish are at, most the time in the late summer all the fish are held up at a certain level, because of wer there is oxygenated water, so then just set you jugs for approximately that depth and you'll have pretty good luck.

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    everone has covered the jugs fairly well but i would sugest you up grade your line.i use 100 lb.test braided nylon for my lines.it makes handeling the line a lot easier.and if you use 50 lb.mono to tie your hook to your main line it makes it lots eaiser to breake off if you get hung up.

15. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Would you have a photo of one of your jugs that you could show us?

Bill

16. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    have you guys checked the BOC library?
    There are some pretty good plans there although I'll have to admit none have a bell. yet.

have a good one
    just

17. TCAT

TCAT New Member

State:
    mo
    my advice would be not too. :smile2: i spent alot of time and money last year making jugs with little sucess . i guess its just not my bag. too much time chasing them down not to mention gas burned and all that boat space taken up.

18. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I make my own jugs and find it quite addicting.

I do the 2 liter soda bottle method. Paint it neon orange (check laws to make sure it does not have to be white like in Texas) for easier visibility. The easiest way to do your jug is just tie a nylon line around the lip of the bottle and tie on a sinker and a hook. Secure the sinker above the hook a fair amount. To make it even easier when fishing at night, toss in some glow sticks in a bottle and it will shine on the water. Also add in some BBs and it will shake like a maracca when a fish hits it. Works well for me! If you have reflective tape, wrap a chunk on the bottle as well. Makes for easy location with a light.

And of course, add name, address, and phone number on the jug. Be sure to check your states laws in regards to jugging.