Help with Goats.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ersel, Mar 12, 2007.

1. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    OK my wife and I are buying a little land and my kids are taken with the idea of raising goats. They are in 4H and due to the fact that we have always lived in sub-divisions have never been able to "show" animals.

Has anybody had any experience with goats. We know we need to neuter them any other tips?

2. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I been around em, watched em, ate em, never raised em.
    They are easy to feed. Eat any an everything. Dont taste too bad with BBQ sauce.:tounge_out:
    neuter part, might be right but that ............:crazy:

Show and tell stuff needs pined, well maintain, well groomed, the good food.
    ( cant put make up on an old goat , LOL. )
    Someone will give good tips on this or do a search on the net.
    nothing else, check with the ag Teacher, they got tips.

Good luck.:smile2:

3. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    goats are the best fence row cleaner there is ....lol....use to have a few .....my fav thing was making curley walking canes from the honesuckle growth in the tree's ......whats that got to do with goats one might ask ?....you can cut a big bundle of the curley tree's and give em to the goats and wahlah ....they will debark em for ya in a jiffy ....goats are cool

4. SassyManxLady

SassyManxLady New Member

State:
    MO
    Okay, now you have come to a area where I DO know something about the subject!!
    Goats, cows, horses, livestock, dogs, cats, and mean brothers.
    Goats are good fence-row cleaners. (Will eat straw purses also) Are very easy to feed. Will eat just about any kind of commercial feed you want to feed them. You will need to be able to provide them with fresh water like any other kind of animal. Give them plenty of area to roam and to graze and forage. They will need shelter. It doesn't have to be a barn, but some way for them to get away from the worse of the elements. With spring coming and summer hot on it's tail, at least some tree's for shelter until you can do better. A lil lean-too would be nice, just something where they can get in out of the weather, especially if there are lil one's involved. If you are going to have billies and nannies, you can dang well count on having lil ones before long. Or several lil ones!!
    If you are going to neuter them, let the vet do it, for if you do it yourself, you are a braver 'man' than I am. Tried it once, was going to save some money. Money ain't that big enough deal to me after that ordeal!!!
    If you don't neuter them, DON'T bend over or turn your back on them, unless you want to see how many times you can land on your knotty head!!!!
    Sassy

PS----OH, and don't let them near your car or truck, for some reason they like to jump on top of them. But, so do mean brothers.

5. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    All I know about goats is that the little ones taste great butterflied, brushed with a red chile marinade and cooked over a mesquite fire. It is a staple of the locals around Monterrey, Mexico. I guess goats are better suited to the desert than cattle.

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Ersel,

I hope there are not any bears around, because they got my Mom's several years ago. All they did was rip their throats out and leave them. Mom loves goats and it broke her heart.

What kind are you getting? I was thinking about getting those miniature goats a while back, but have never gotten into it. Make sure they have plenty of water, because that keeps them from being so smelly.

Is goat meat still selling higher than beef? I know it was a few months back.

Is there anything you want me to ask Mom? I'll see her in a little while.

Take care.
    Cheryl

7. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    We've looked at several from miniatures to Boer to Tennessee Fainting Goats will probably wind up with a mix.

8. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Fainting Goats. Funny stuff. . :0010::happy::tounge_out: