Help with gill net

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Paraguayguy, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I want to order a new gill net. What is the best length for the James? Also, what size opening is best for the netting. I only need to catch a dozen of so Shad for bait. I don't need to catch a 100 fish. Thanks.

2. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Most guys that I know of are using a 50' X 6' with 4" mesh (stretched). Be sure you pick up a license before you use it on the river.
    /Scott

3. Bluecathunter

Bluecathunter New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Virginia
    Go to www.fishnetco.com and they will help. I have given the info to quite a few people on this net. Its $37 plus shipping. Its 50ft mono with float rope and lead line on bottom. Dont leave it in the water more than 5-10 min.

If you need more info you can email me.

David Willis
    dlwillis325@msn.com

4. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Yep, you're the man!! :D The net is PRICELESS.
    /Scott

5. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    yup the net recommended by bluecat is the one i got too

works like a charm .. make darn sure you get that license and read the regulations on it

also do us all a favor and don't let it sit out too long .. normally put in the right spot you have more than you need in 10 minutes

6. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    Is a license required? Somebody said the VMRC requires one, but the James isn't their jurisdiction. I can't find DGIF regs anywhere about whether a license is required or not. I see a dip net license for 3.50.

:confused:

7. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    That VMRC license is the one. The lower James to Richmond is tidal which means it falls within their jurisdiction. The license expires Dec 31st so don't rush out and buy one :rolleyes:
    /Scott

8. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    Awesome. Thank you. I was gonna wait until Jan 1st to get it all anyhow. No reason to waste the money. :D

9. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Is there a gill net that is less then 50 foot long? I would like to try that from my kayak but 50 feet sure sounds like a handful.

Jay

10. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    50 feet is just what we have been using. I went with that length because that is what bluecathunter recommended. You can order any length you like at The Fish Net Company 1-800-256-5256 www.fishnetco.com

Ask for the 6' monofilament leaded gill net (2" square, 4 " stretched) The net part number is LGM-6620. Price is basically $1.62 per yard plus a $10 dollar charge for a net less than 100 yards. Of course there will be a little bit of shipping also.

You could make it a 2 man job out of a kayak. The net could be stored in the front hatch of your yak, while a 2nd yakker deployed the net right out of the hatch. If you are comfortable moving around in your yak, you could probably make it a 1 man job by turning around and do something out of a milk crate or something similar in the rear well. When you deploy the net, you don't even have to turn loose of one end. Just drift with it (you can actually feel the shad in the net) and pull it in after 10 or 15 minutes. I store my net in a 60 qt rubbermaid container. A shorter net would probably fit in a milk crate ok.

/Scott

11. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    Hey Scott where did you get the float ball and flag for the net? Do you have that setup? From what I read in the regs you have to have all that. Either a float ball with a minimum of 50" circumference, or a triangle flag of 144 square inches on one end, and a square flag with 144 inches of material at least 2 feet off the ground? :confused: The regs sounds like a pain, but if it saves me from throwin the cast night over and over in the cold I'm on it!

12. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    They're not required for recreational users. All you need is a buoy at each end of some sort (I'm using 1/2 a crab pot float) marked with an "R" and the last 4 of your SSN.

Those regs area a mess. The requirement for rec users is in there, it's just buried.
    /Scott

13. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    Thanks Scott. Ordered mine last night. :thumbsup:
    Should be here either next Friday or the following Monday. :D

14. Bluecathunter

Bluecathunter New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Virginia
    Boaters World has some Oarnge stirefoam bouys for 2.99 and pick up some 2-1/2 lb weights at wally world (.99) for the bottom line and your all set.

15. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    With 3" mesh, are the shad about 5" to 10" long? Do you set in in a current area or at the mouth of coves? Sounds like a good way to collect shad fast. Do you catch skipjack too? Hannibal Mike

16. Bluecathunter

Bluecathunter New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Virginia
    I set my net on a flat about ten feet deep with the net running closer to the surface. The gizzard shad on the james that you catch in the net are 10-12 inches and bigger. The smaller shad are threadfin or juevenile gizzards and are too small to get caught in the gill but can be caught with the cast net.

17. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    Have you had any problems catching other fish? I've castnetted some big gar in the Chickahominy, and they are a pain in the butt to get out with all those teeth. Small blues also get caught in the net sometimes too, and I'm hoping to avoid this with the gill net, but I'll bet anything swimming through that's big enough will be caught. ;)

18. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Small blues are a problem. I've had to cut them out of the net in the past. It helps to minimize the length of time the net stays in the water giving them less time to get all twisted up in the net.

Last time out I set my net twice. The first time for 5 minutes. The second time for about 3 minutes. Had all I needed for 2 days of fishing. Of course it depends on the density of the chad in the area you're setting the net. It has taken me 3 or 4 shots at 15 minutes each to get the same amount of bait in the past.

/Scott

19. gweber

gweber New Member

The gillnet is the bomb in my opinion. Unless you've got shad busting the surface, throwing a cast net is a pain in the butt. Every once in a while you'll load up with the cast net, whereas I've loaded up with almost every single set of my gillnet.

Location and duration for the gillnet are key as Scott said. Man, there are some spots in deep bottom, like the mouth of the creek near the ramp, that are loaded with small catfish and small white perch. If you don't want to spend hours getting stuff out of the gillnet, don't throw in that location. Shad like mud flats, so I key on those areas, which normally don't have the structure the other fish like so much. Also, most of the mud flats don't have a bunch of wood on them to hang your gillnet up.

I don't ever really set the net. I set one end, pay out the rest of the net and hold onto the other end without ever fully deploying that end and moving away. Then I use my trolling motor to move the net and get is stretched out. Once I feel that beautiful thumping on the net, or I see the crab pot bouy on the other end bobbing, I know it's time to start thinking about pulling it up. Like Scott said in most spots that are producing well, 3-5 minutes is a long time.

I actually like "fishing" for shad with the gillnet almost as much as catching the big blues. There's something that is very satisfying about catching your own bait this way. Plus these shad are normally huge 10-14".

Hey, BTW, how many shad do you guys feel is enough for a day's worth of fishing? I normally get out there by 7am, have bait normally in time to be fishing by 9am, and fish until 4:30pm to get to the ramp before dark. So, I'm fishing for about 6 hours considering I move a handful of times. I normally have 6-8 rods out at all times, and I've found that I use between 10-18 of the big shad on a decent day. What do you guys think?

20. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    I only fish a couple of rods at a time so I don't use more than about 1/2 dozen in a day of fishing. As I build my rod arsenal will surely go up :D

Are you getting out this weekend?
    /Scott