Help With Flatheads

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by explayer, Oct 17, 2005.

1. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    I have never flatheads fished before what are the best hooks and can some show me a couple of pics where to hook the bluegills please :D

I am going wedsday night to thursay
    Thank you
    Joel Lewis

you have to be carfull what you do and say to truly understand the people around you

2. Cat_Catcher29

Cat_Catcher29 New Member

State:
    McKinney, Tx
    dont know if this will hlp much but this is only pic i could find

Attached Files:

3. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    Thank you only one more qestion what size of hook what kind I 20 lb test line is that going to be big enough

4. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    Depending on the size of the bait, the most common is usually 6/0 to 9/0.

5. Cat_Catcher29

Cat_Catcher29 New Member

State:
    McKinney, Tx
    20 pound should be enough but if your fishing in heavy currents you might want to knock up to 30 pounds

6. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    20lb line should work{make sure your drag is set} but if your fishing heavy cover id go up a step,almost all my rods are spooled with 40lb trilene big game or variouse lb test of power pro.
    my hook of choice for flathead are 8/0-10/0 eagle claw king kahles hooks when using big baits like bigger then my hand gills and 9-11" gold fish.when im using smaller baits like small gills i go down to a 5/0-7/0 kahles hooks.

7. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    i hook bluegills in the back just behind the dorsal fin. if the bait is big, like a baby carp, i will hook them in the nose. i like to use the gamakatsu octopus 8/0 hooks.

8. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    i also like to hook my gills near the tail,just watch so you dont spine it in heavy current hook th ebait in the lips so the bait dont drown.flathead love lively baits ;)

9. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    almost forgot.matthew.how do you like those gama oct hooks? i just ordered some from catfish conection to try out...are they like your typical circle hook or can you set the hook like kahles?.thanks

10. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    the regular octopus hooks aren't circles, they do make octopus circles though. the are pretty much the same hook but the circles just have a bent in point and a wider gap. i love the circles for cut bait. just leave the pole in the holder with the drag tight, and wait for the rod to double over, then reel in your fish. but make sure with the circles that you leave enough space on the hook. the regular octopus hooks are great for live bait. i like these style hooks because you can snell the hooks also. i recommend getting both kinds.

11. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    Thank you everybody for your help Didnot catch any flatheads this time

12. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I wouldnt use any hook under 7/0 and line under 30 lb test. I prefer 8/0 Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks. Kahle style hooks also work very good when using live baitfish such as bluegills, creek chubs, and goldfish.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    walt i agree. i always use 30# stren with 7/0 chunk light diachhi circles or gam, 8/0. also i strongly reccomend hooking through the fatier meat behind the dorsal above the spine. this allows the fish to work. hooking in the head or lip the fish in current rides smoothly and doesn't work as well. in the tail the gills open up with water flow backwards and kills it quicker. and again it rides in current. behing the top fin it allows the bait to swim in the direction it wants. ;)