Help with fishing techs this winter.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by cbiblis, Nov 25, 2008.

1. cbiblis

cbiblis New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I have never in my 30 odd years have attempted to fish cats in winter. I am going to give it a try. I need help on the matter thou. I am aware of the specifics on winter being that deep holes hold dieing or dead fish and that's were you find the little buggers. However i am questionable on the type of bait,time to fish and the tech. Can i even catch brim in the winter? sorry, i've never tried. My line of thinking is this:
    Start out around 9 or 10 am and fish for brim, then after i am satisfied with the bait, i would then bait the hook with a brim behind the dorsal fin (slightly cut) then i would troll the lake in the channel (close if not on the bottom) until i get a strike. Then i would stop and fish it out. Then continue on.
    O.K. Here are the questions. First off, I think that the best place to start is the Hiwassee dam. there is a reservoir of around 100 to 180 ft deep, off the dam front, (it's not generating) i would then troll down the lake, in the channel. Second off, can i even catch the brim this time of year and if not should i use the old hot dog tricks? To let you know I'm only going for trophies. I'm in the NCARC, So i want 30 lb and up to be recognized. I'm catch and release only. I do realize that i have to burp the fish from these depths. I don't carry what kind of cat i catch, in my experience blues are popular catches from the dam area thou. i would love to catch a big blue, the biggest i've ever caught was a 20 lb. there are however stories of 150lbers near the dam.i just want to get a peice of the action. Any help will do. Thanks

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    first thing be safe if your not experienced stay away from the damn . a couple hundred yards should be safe

3. cbiblis

cbiblis New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Well thanks for the reply. To be more specific i was fishing above the dam. They don't allow fishing below the dam here. For that i go to watts bar in Tenn. (which I'm familiar with) Problem is I've never fished so deep before. I did find that all of the fish where hanging out at 50'. I couldn't get them to bit though. We went to the next cove before the dam and found a school of blues hanging out just below a drop off at 40'. But they didn't want what we had either. We didn't have any cut bait to fish with though. I though that maybe next time i will cut up some of the rainbow trout i caught and try that. I wish i could find a place local with bullhead in it. So far I've had no luck.

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    if you had bluebill [brim] you had great cut bait in the making.. use the head and mid section without the tail and you have 2 great pieces of cutbait from each fish...

5. cbiblis

cbiblis New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thanks for the reply, We don't have bluegill but we have yellow belly's. We have had great fishing in the past with them but last weekend we couldn't find any or they just weren't biting.

6. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I like using fresh bloody skipjack for blues, second preference would be shad, then sunfish. Guts and head

7. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I find it alot harder to get bait during the winter here in texas. I use a cast net in several locations until I get a school of shad. In my opinion nothing will beat fresh shad in the winter for blues. I would use perch, and other baits second over shad.

8. cbiblis

cbiblis New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Thanks for the reply's. I agree that shad would be best. I have a hard time getting them right now. They are out in the channel and my net won't sink quick enough. I guess i need to look into a sabiki rig. Maybe then i can catch the hickory shad in the lake rather than the smaller gizzards.

9. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I use large shad and large hooks in the winter. Don't assume they're in the deep holes only. In the winter I move to fishing in a huge oxbow off of the river I fish in the summer (Red River, Shreveport, LA). In the summer all you can catch out of this oxbow is dinks but in the winter I pull 10-25 pounders out of it all winter. The bite is slower so you have to be patient. I'm catching them in 6-12 feet of water way up on the sand flats with no structure in sight. I always assummed they moved in there to get out of the current in the winter and plus the water is probably warmer during the day.

Good luck.

I attached a pic of my winter spot.

Attached Files:

10. cbiblis

cbiblis New Member

State:
    north carolina
    rip-rap huh. Do you fish far out or close to shore. I would think that crawdads or spring lizards would work good in that situation when closer to shore. if fishing away from shore do you use a bobber or bottom fish? Looks also like your below a dam somewhere is the water that your fishing flat and around 20'?

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My all time favorite bait for Big Blues is....Bluegill heads and guts. Followed by fresh cut skipjacks ...guts with strip of meat trailer.:cool2: