Help, with drift fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by zappaf19, Dec 12, 2005.

1. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have been reading about drift fishing for cats. I tried that last fall and all I got was hung up on stumps logs etc. I just let my bait bump along the bottom. It was one of those days when you just want to chuck the pole in the water and scream! What am I doing wrong :confused:
    Bill

2. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Well you can try using a snagless weight and suspend your bait afeet from the bottom. You could also use a float to keep your bait above the snags.

3. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    tncatfishing,

what sorta weight were you using? You might wana use a cork to keep your bait off the bottom. I think that it's almost impossible not to get caught up if you let it drag the bottom

Catfishs mouths aren't made for feeding directly off the bottom like a carp or a sucker. It's made to feed a foot to a couple feet off the bottom. This isn't to say that they won't pick it up off the bottom but in most cases it help to have it a couple feet off the bottom.

Sometimes people like to use "drift Sock". A drift sock will allow to slow down the boat speed and control it more.

Heres an article on drifting a lake , click here

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The way I was taught to drift fish was to freespool till the sinker hits bottom, then immediately engage the spool and lift the rod tip to raise the sinker off the bottom a couple of feet; lower the rod tip till the sinker touches again, and immediately raise the rod tip again. The idea is to 'feel' for the bottom, but keep the sinker off the bottom as much as possible, rather than letting it drag. Even so, you will occasionally hang up, but then, I don't catch many catfish in places where I don't hang up.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Zappa what I do is "Chuck the pole in the water"LOL That way guys like you can get hung on it and I can go and buy another one!That is one way to keep your equipment upgraded!You don't say if you are drifting in rivers or in lakes.The current issue of In-Fisherman magazine has a very good article on drift fishing mostly in rivers.Phil King is featured and he uses a method very much like JTREW uses.He slows his boat to half the current speed with a very powerful trolling motor or at times a small outboard and uses the lift/drop method.If you think about it casting and retreiving plastic baits for Bass is very similiar.In lakes drift socks are used to slow the boat and a float will help keep the bait and hook above the bottom.More importantly in lakes I notice guides tend to use a more flexible rod which allows the rod to slowly load up when snagged and often times the "Bow and Arrow" effect will clear the snag.Most of the time your sinker is what is snagged and I have found that just releasing pressure will often clear it.The alternative is to just go ahead and mail me all your gear thereby keeping your local fishing hole clear of debris.

6. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

THE FISH WHISPER'ER New Member

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    i only drift on lakes and use 3/4 oz walking type sinker with a swivle,leader then hook kinda like a carralina rig for fishing soft plastics for bass ,use fairly heavy geer and you will pull thru most snags if you dont let too much line out try to keep it pretty much under the boat you will have more control and better hook sets

7. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Thanks for the advice I guess I was doing it wrong :sad: The answer then
    Brings me to another couple question. If I use a live gill I have to anchor my boat? Would I rig the same way with a live gill?
    Bill
    P.S.
    Jim I would send you my gear and get new but when I get a new pole or reel I get "that" look from my wife with the question "Why do you need that"? LOL

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    DUDE,tell her you were drift fishing and a snag pulled your pole right over the side before you could get to it.PRESTO new outfit,did I forget to mention that advantage of drift fishing?If you are going to use live gills you will pretty much have to thread them on the hook.I learned this technique from a Santee guide and I have used white perch rigged this way ,drifted for an hour and they were still alive and kicking.Essentially you run your hook in the mouth and out the top of the head,reinsert through the back in front of the dorsal fin and out the other side.Pull enough leader line thru so you can re-insert the hook thru the meaty part of the tail.Pull leader tight and he is on there to stay.I use 7/0 Kahle lazersharps which leave plenty of hook exposed.If you are careful the bait will remain alive but it doesn't seem to matter.I also use this method with herring or shad.

9. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Gone fishing 4 kittys the syle of weight I am talking about is a weight about the the size of a pencil or atleast along those lines. I have also seen awalking type weight that was mentioned in the above posts. I do not use these type of sinkers now for I only bank fish and use standard weights,egg the flat no role, etc. With the weight and leader I use I pull out of snags 90 percent of the time.

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    The key is to keep the sinker feeling the bottom. but not to let it sit in one place 2 long.
    I try to let the sinker touch bottom ever few feet. But never let it drag. Also you can let the sinker find bottom. then move it up abut a foot. Then every little while let it back to bottom .
    Also i use a bank sinker on bottom. And come up about 1 ft and put a hook then one more foot and the next hook. If I'm fishing the lake or theres not much current in the river. I will make the leader short. Like almost on the mail line. As the fish will pick the bait up and if your leader is long in slack water the fish will be hard to catch. But put one aobut 2" and catch about every fish.
    Now if theres current I like the leader to be from 12" to 16"/ And also for bigger fish I also space out my hooks about 2 ft apart.

Pete

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    ShilohRed showed me his technique once when Gardenhawk and I fished with him, and it's totally different from the way I usually drift. The only similar point is that both techniques bounce the sinker on the bottom. By slowing the boat in the current, your terminal rig bounces way downstream from the boat; the way I drift freely with the current, I'm fishing straight down. Which way is best? Probably ShilohRed's, because in a swift current, his method moves the bait downstream at a slightly slower rate than the current speed. That would give cats waiting on food to drift by just a tiny bit longer to notice and grab the bait as it goes downstream.

12. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Bill, I drift fish all the time, getting hung occasionally is just part of the game. I use walking sinkers up to 1.5oz, in a strong breeze 15mph+, I'll use bank sinkers up to 8 oz, they work just as well. I use 30lb main line on my 3 way rig, but only six lb test on my drop(sinker) line. That way if the sinker does get hung, you'll just lose a sinker. If you don't already, you might want to invest in a couple of sinker molds for those type sinkers. It's a few bucks to start with, but you'll save money in the long run.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Badkarma turned me onto using large wheelweights for non-snag sinkers. Drill a hole in one end; clip off the metal piece if you want, mash it down, or just leave it as is.

14. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Also you can power troll and still be drift fishing in the lakes. Or in the rivers with theres no current.
    I take the trolling motor and just move the boat through where I would like to fish. WE catch lots of fish doing that here.
    PEte

15. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I make my snagless :rolleyes: "SNAKE" weights by tying about 12" of 30# test line to a snap swivel and stringing (1) 1/4 oz. worm weight followed by (7) 1/4 oz. egg weights. Loop the line through the last one 3 times and smash the weight with a pair of pliers to keep it together, clip the tag end off. Not 100% snag-free, but works pretty good!

16. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    zappaf, if you get in-fisherman it has a good article about drifting in new issue. if you dont get it stop in at wally world a just read it. lol

17. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Man I have so much to learn!
    Thanks
    Bill

18. sbursik

sbursik New Member

State:
    McKinney Texas
    Jerry Hancock has a video that shows how to drift for cats and shows how to build a drift chute to really slow your drift down to a crawl even in a stiff wind.

Link Here

ScottB

19. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    when i drift i just let my hook bounce on the bottom this method has produced more cats then any other. works real well for flatty's since they sit on the bottom during the day. i dont usually use drift socks generally i try to cover as much area as possible. but what works for me may not work for someone else, so just experiment.

20. BIGBASS3638

BIGBASS3638 New Member

try a threeway rig w/ a lindy no-snag sinker