Help with Cordell Hull Lake catfish

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Jedicazador, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    Ok I've been reading all over this site and do as instructed but only got one small cat....What am I doing wrong? Should I be looking for deep water, shallow? I've been using cut skip, shad, that was caught on the water fished...shrimp, chicken liver...the only one caught was on a trot line in about 25' of water with a noticeable current. I just got my order of Secret 7, but where to go? I got a bunch of kids that are getting restless and wanna get some cats. I've been mostly on the Cumberland at Cordell hull damn, and Wartrace areas, tried rocks, woody area near the bank, I'm thinking I must have something wrong with me, so any suggestions would be great
    Thanks in advance
    Mike

2. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You should be wearing them out around the dam. This time of year I like to steam plants and dams until the water gets colder then I target deep holes. Good luck.

3. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Mike,don't get discouraged. Sometimes they just aren't biting. I can't say what, or if, you are doing anything wrong. Sounds like you are using good selections of bait. And remember, you can read every post and article on this web site. You can read every magazine article on the subject and you can watch every catfishing video sold. And they all have very good tips and advice,and make it all sound simple, but what they don't tell you is--- That you have to be in the right place at the right time. This site is the best you will find for information and people who want to share their fishing knowledge to help somebody out. But none of these tips and info can replace the knowledge you will gain by yourself, by getting out there and sticking with it. I catch alot of fish, because I go alot. Over the years however there have been MANY days that that I couldn't buy a bite. Thats just part of fishin'. Maybe some of the guys on here that fish your area will give you some advice that may help. In the meantime, keep going, be patient and you will be out there, at the right place at the right time. :wink:

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Trust me your not doing anything wrong..I've been fishing up and down the Cumberland mostly Old Hick and have had limited success..The fall pattern should be coming around and they'll start fattening up for the winter..Keep it up eventually you'll get a good trip..I had a pretty decent one 2 weeks ago..I think right now though they are deep like 30' + deep..

5. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    What do you mean by " Fall pattern" ? and 30' ... deep I'm sure I'm not fishing deep enough then, What situations dictate the depth I should be fishing? For some reason I always thought cats were in shallows, I've been looking for downed trees too, I did get to see a BAG (Big Arse Gar) but I couldnt get em to bite, would have been fun, should have had my bow...
    Thanks for everything ya'll
    Mike

6. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Cats fall into a pattern of the seasons..In the spring is when you fish shallow..They move into the shallow water to spawn..In the fall they will move back into the shallow water and feed heavily to fatten up because during the winter,though they can still be caught, they basically hibernate..In the summertime they spreadout and go deep to the cooler waters..They are very difficult to catch during the late summer..Are you fishing at night??Cats are more nocturnal too so you may want to try some night fishing too..Hope that explains things a little better..

7. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks Iforet it does help me, at least I know I'm mostly targeting the wrong depth, so I'm not even in the right category for location,:confused2: I think I got some of the elements right, now just putting it all together. If there is anything else you or anyone can think of that I can do please dont hesitate to let me know. Thanks

8. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Also check the barometric pressure when you head out to give you a better idea of how deep to fish..High pressure sends the fish deep, low pressure will send them shallow and into a feeding frenzy..Usually hot summer days are high pressure and cool overcast days and stormy weather will bring the pressure down..

9. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks brother! It's starting to storm now, so I'm gatherin all the kids and heading out! I'll let ya know how we do...

10. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    Just got back, another day of nothing... but we did have a nice fire and good times Well I'm hoping when the weather cools the fish will find our hooks.

11. dthrasher

dthrasher New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Don't feel bad, I usually wear them out this time of the year on the Hull. The last couple of weekends have been very slow for some reason. I usually do best this time of the year at night on a bend in the river channel next to a flat with cut bait and livers. I settle in just off the main channel and cast on the drop into deeper water. I get less hits than shallow water, but the fish are bigger. If you do any jugging, you can fish in the back of Martin Creek, Just above Granville. When you start down Martin Creek there is a big flat straight ahead rather than following the channel to the right. Good Place for jugs. You can also follow the channel back into more shallow spots. The fish will be good eating size channel cats. This usually works for me, not the past few weekends, but usually....happy hunting,,,,while I was complaining to my brother about the lack of my catch rate, he said thats why they call it fishing, rather than catching.

12. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    thanks dthrasher...my father in law and I went out today, hit the dam but fished the high side this time, never been there before water was very deep, no bites moved to a few places then got one small channel in a cove at near Defeated, we moved to another spot in Defeated and pulled in 4 more, none much bigger than 2.5lbs. I caught the first on skip guts the others on Secret 7, I had a great time was nice to finally start catching some cats. I felt bad cause between me and my dad I was the only one catching anything. I guess we all have our moments I just hope mine last a while, lol