Help with cleaning up found reel

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by CharlieTN, Oct 10, 2017.

1. CharlieTN

CharlieTN Member

Name:
    Charles Shepher
    IMG_2517.jpg

I’m in Edisto SC for vacation and found this reel that had been buried in the mud for a bit. The crusty stuff comes off pretty easily. I’ve got it soaking in some fresh water to wash out the salt water. It may be a lost cause but I’ve got to try. Any tips would be appreciated.

Is there any sort of solution or oil to soak it in to help get rid of the crud?

Once I get home I’ll see if I can get it apart.

Catpaw likes this.
  2. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    A lot of WD40 soaking and rubbing with OOOO steel wool. And new bearings and lube you might get lucky to get it working again.

Catpaw and jdstraka like this.

3. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    it looks like an eagle claw reel i think.....if it was me i would cut the line off with a utility knife loosen the side screws / take the handle off / get a coffee can or Tupperware etc........soak it over night in some kerosene....... then get the hot water and dawn after it.....

jdstraka likes this.
  4. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I agree totally. Then wipe it off real good and set it on the fireplace mantle and leave it. I think it is too far gone to do a lot with.

Just my humble opinion.

tight lines.

jdstraka likes this.
  5. CharlieTN

CharlieTN Member

Name:
    Charles Shepher
    It very may well be toast but I figure it’s a good chance to learn by trying. I have nothing to loose on this one other than time. Better to play on this one than my Penn 9 that I use.

jdstraka and Catpaw like this.
  6. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Haha, no your fine Charles. You may get it back to being a functioning reel. But I know what salt water can do in a short time. Of course there is nothing wrong with giving it a try. Good luck and I hope the replaced parts, bearings and such are not to expensive.

jdstraka and Catpaw like this.
  7. Torvaldsberg

Torvaldsberg Member

State:
    Illinois
    Used to work at an auto parts store. Soaking it in PB Blaster will probably get you better results than WD-40. WD-40 is better for lubricating, but PB Blaster penetrates like much more quickly and thoroughly. For removing the rust and crust, CLR from your local store's cleaning aisle will be a big help.

8. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    You can shine that crome right back up after you get the crud off...Use #0000 steel wool works like a charm and won't leave no scratches

Cuda and jdstraka like this.