Help with Chicken Liver

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by bigkittyhunter, Mar 19, 2007.

1. bigkittyhunter

bigkittyhunter New Member

State:
    illinois
    Im hoping to go to the local pond (the one in my avatar) here next week and I wanted to give the liver a try, but ive never used them before what is a good way to make rigs for them?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use a carolina style rig and make my own snells with a 4/0 kahle hook i seem to be able to LOB the liver without throwing it off the hook if I'm using spincast or spinning tackle
    to do the slip sinker thing/carolina rig ; first put line through an egg sinker then tye on a snap or barrel swivel next tie a leader with your choich of hook

3. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i catch all my channels on liver i use a gamakatsu octupus circle hook 4/0 to even a 8/0 and a simple carolina rig very rarely fish with a bobber but it works too

4. bigkittyhunter

State:
    illinois
    Ok carolina rig with octopus hook, is there any special place to put the hook on?

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Also check out the library it has a good article on how to "cure" livers. Worked great for me and it keeps them from going bad. The library should also have some good rigs to use. I usually take at least one bottom fishing carolina rig and one bobber rig.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38576

6. bigkittyhunter

State:
    illinois
    Thanks for the help, Ive got some rigs made and ready to go. :big_smile:

7. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    It really depends on how big of cats are in the pond. If you are after something 5 pounds or bigger then a 4/0 or bigger hook will work. I'm not saying you can't catch smaller fish on a big hook, but if you are after channels that are more in the 12 to 16 inch range try using an eagle claw #2 or #1 baitholder hook. I have great success with these hooks in the river I fish and the barbs on the hook really do help hold the liver on. Just lob the bait out though or you will loose the liver, but thats the case no matter what hook your using. Another thing, since your fishing a pond try using no weight at all or just a little weight like one quater ounce splitshot. When there is no current this is great because the cat won't feel any resistance, and they will take more baits. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!

8. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    chuck them in the microwave for about two minutes - toughens them up a little. If you plan on using them regularly look into some "safety pin" hooks.

9. MON RIVER RAT

MON RIVER RAT New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Try the carolina rig with a 2/0 baitholder hook. Livers stay on the baitholder alot better.

10. jetdocx

jetdocx New Member

State:
    Corinth Tx
    Look at catfishconnection.com they have a liver hook. Its a little pricey but it works

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    When I use liver I nomally use a treble hook, but I am going to check out those liver hooks.

12. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Try wrapping some fine thread or dental floss ( not a flavored kind ) around the liver and hook several times. The liver hooks work well but they are kinda pricey, you can pick up a roll of generic floss at walmart for a buck. The floss will hold it on and wont mess with the fish. Give it a try.:smile2:

13. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    you can always use the old pantyhose trick. just stuff some liver in a piece of panyhose, tie a knot in it and tie it to your hook, keeps the fish from stealing your bait.

14. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Ben
    About that liver, I like fishing with a single hook so they ain't swallowing that treble, I put most back. I was using the panti-hose trick, but now use medical gauze in the roll and wind a little on. You can get elastic thread at Wal-mart or I use the center rubber from inside a golf ball, just wind a little on at last Works good for me, casting and keeping the liver on. I like bait turkey liver better that chicken, never tried animal liver. Luck

15. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i tie on with regular thread. put on either treble or single hook. piece of thread about 20" long. hold one end of thread in fingers and grip top of hook with same fingers. now start wrapping aroung liver and hook. may have to turn hook upside down to get liver all over it. no knots this way. works great. also soak in garlic powder.
    gary

16. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Next time you are at Wal Mart check out their fabric section. You are looking for tule. Its fine netting. Its pretty cheap and works pretty well.It comes in lots of colors but I use white. Plop your liver in the center of a 4" X4" piece and tie a string around the loose ends.I suppose they are reusable but I just throw them away. Keeps livers in a ball so the fish has to take it all in their mouth and thats what we're wanting.
    best of luck
    just

17. Rastus

Rastus Active Member

State:
    North Central, Missouri
    I've heard that salt of sugar will tuffen up chicken livers so they stay on the hook but havn't had a chance to try it yet.

18. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I usually mix my livers up with garlic salt and salt then put them back in the container. The salt does toughen them up and at least you smell more like garlic than liver at the end of the trip...Also, wrapping them with regular sewing thread works well for me to keep them on the hook. Like tofish said, you don't need to tie any knots in it, just wrap it up pretty tight. You can launch them just about as far as you want to without them coming off the hook of you use the thread.

19. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    I use a 1/0 treble hook tied at the end of my line with a splitshot about 12 inches up from the hook. I just drape the liver around the hook you can't cast it real hard but I can lob them probably 30 to 40 feet without to much problem. Good luck