Help with Catfish poles!

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Bross, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Bross

Bross New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish for flatheads 90% of the time. I have been using Quantum Bigcat one piece rods which I am very happy with. The reason I am wanting to switch to two piece rods are strictly for storage in my boat. I need some opinions on two piece catfish rods. I was once told by an old seasoned cat man that a big cat would always break a two piece rod? If you guys could give me some feedback on two piece rods vs one piece rods and the brands you fish with, it would be a great help in deciding what to do:)
    Thanks!
    Brent

2. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Hey Bross and welcome to BOC. Well its hard to fish with name brand stuff when ur 18 and only have summer jobs. But i have caught a 35+ shovel head on medium action shakespear tigerspinner open face rod and reel mainly for bass fishing, that was 6'6 and didnt have much trouble with it. so i doubt that if u get good poles about 80-120$ and 8-12 ft then u shouldnt have any trouble landing those nice fish...Where abouts in ohio u from Adams county here!!!! WOOT

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All I can say Bross, besides welcome to he brotherhood, is there are a lot of brothers here that have proved that old seasoned cat man wrong! lol Don't be afraid of a two piece.:)

4. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I can't help ya much on the 2 piece rods, I like my 1 piece rods except like you said storage is a pain sometimes. I just wanted to say welcome to the BOC its a great web site and I'm sure you will get plenty of help. Enjoy your stay.

5. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I know Ugly Stick makes surf rods up to 12' and I've seen the Catmax Rod at BASS PRO that so many here love, never used it myself but I think they go for under 50.00. I have an old 11' Tiger Ugly Stick which got off of EBAY last year for under 40.00, used but great shape, so EBAY is also a good way to buy some good rods for a great price, watch out for the shipping cost.

6. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    If we all had our equipment ligned up it would be like fine tuning a car. Reel for 20 lb line on a pole to handle the poundage, 25 lb the same and right on up.

My Abu 7000c3 reel, with 27lb. Mason Tan Braid, on a rod with a 50lb. raiting. This is what I want my first setup to be. The rod and reel should both hold up to the line great, it holds 150 yds. If I can't get him with that, he deserves to get away. I like the challenge of trying to outdo mr. kitty.

Next will be two, abu 6000's, two abu 6500c4's and one Penn 9. spooled with Mason Tan Braid 18lb on rods rated to 35 lbs.

This way, before the rod breaks, the reel should, but the line should break first saving your more expensive tackle.

7. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Welcome Bross always good to see another fella has found the best site. I have a CatMaxx Rod and Rell, as of yet have not gotten the hog, but the water temp is rising and I am sure to get one soon. I do like the feel of the pole and reel action is nice. Keep checking this post you will get many options. Again, Welcome

8. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome Bross. I have a couple of 2-piece catfish poles. They sure are nice when packing up and hauling around. Couldn't tell ya if they would break with a big cat or not, never caught one big enough to test it. But I sure would like the chance to find out. :confused:

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Theres been alot of debate about the one and two piece rods but ive never had anything but two piece rods and have never had a problem with them.Ive never had one pull it apart or strip it out or anything like that and ive had some whoppers on them so i wouldnt worry about the two piece as far as having problems.

10. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Bross

WELCOME TO THE BOC!!

I've broke a few rods fishin over the years. My opinion is that the new 2 piece rods are just fine Bross. You may just want to stay a bit heavy on the listed "Lure Weight" on the rod(s).

11. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    There is a big thread devoted to the one piece vs. two piece rod debate on this site. Lot of good opinions to read.

12. Bross

Bross New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the warm welcome and all the advice guys:) Growing up on the Ohio River, I have fish for the mighty cat all my life. I use to go down to the river when I was a kid, and sit for hours with some of the oldtimers just to watch them fish. The lanquage they would used when they would get a backlash still brings a smile to my face LOL :p

Brent

I never meant a catfishman I did not like!