Help with catching channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by dakid, Jun 2, 2006.

1. dakid

dakid New Member

State:
    Palos Hills Illinois
    were i fish the catfish only get to be about 10 pound if not less i was wondering what type of bait to use and what kind of rod and/reel. last year i mainly useded a nightcrawler and i only caught about 2 catfish out of the hole summer

so with some help and some adjustments i should be good

any suggestions?

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    For bigger fish use big cut bait or live bait. My favorite rod an reels are abu baticasters on an ugly stick. Check out the Library for help with how to rig up your line too.

Welcome to the BOC.

3. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ditto. All I can add is channels do like their chicken livers and sometimes shrimp will do well. Can't go wrong with a Penn reel either.

4. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Johnny,

Check the library first. It has great info on rigs, baits, and tactics. 'Crawlers and cut bream are my most productive bait, but it may be your technique. You should get lots of ideas from posts on this site.

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i would suggest you get some danny kings punch bait. the cats are all over the stuff in my river! this comes from a guy that has used cut bait almost exclusivly for 30yrs.

6. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    all of the post u got on here are right on the nose.but i mainly use nightcrawers,cut bream,and catfish dough u buy at walmart.

7. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    i have had great luck with chicken livers as bait...also the zebco808 hawg rod and reel combo is perfect for small to mid-sized fish and only cost $25

8. bigbuba

bigbuba New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    you want to catch alot of channel catfish just you some chicken liver or you can cut some blue gills up and use them there is many ways of using bluegills for bait you can cut the tale off and use it or use the whole bluegill and slice its belly open and pull out some guts where there hanging from the bluegills stomach you could cut squares of its meat out or cut all the way through its body and cut one big square out of that i think the most affective way when using bluegills it to cut it in to sections and use the stomach section first but when you want a lot of the channel catfish cut squars all the way through the body and make them aproxamently 1inch or 2inches wide and long this is all what i do and i have been very sucessful with all of those methods that i just mentioned. try these you might find them effective to.

9. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Yeah chicken livers & cut bluegill will do the trick.

10. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I love to use fresh cut bait, chicken livers, or sometimes shrimp and just use whatever u feel comfortable with but make sure it is strong enough lol.

11. tragic

tragic New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    All of the techniques up here will work if you're at the right spot =)

12. big cat

big cat New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I usaly find a rock fall with strong current in the river with a deep drop off ending and use a bobber with a night crawler and live chubs

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Iv'e been having my best luck with JUNNIES SUPER SITCKY and DANNY KINGS PUNCH BAIT. Now thats been in the big river but should work well in lakes or ponds. Liver and shrimp is good to. Best of luck what ever you use.