help with carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by CaTFiSH1346, Sep 11, 2005.

1. CaTFiSH1346

CaTFiSH1346 New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    what would be the best place to fish for carp. I make a homemade doughbait and also use corn. do they like current? I live along the mississippi river and have lots of places to fish, but dont know what ones would be best, im not sure what habitat they like. thanks

2. omots2

omots2 New Member

State:
    abrerdeen md
    I dont know about mississippi carp but here in MD. they seem to like calm water with lots of grass. they are much more plentyful in the shallow coves than the main body of water. Hope this is some help to you. :0a26:

3. spam

spam New Member

You should do much better in calm waters, 12 to 3 ft in depth, near structure.

4. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    In my years of fishing, I have done alot of carp fishing, both on the lakes and the rivers.
    For rivers, I have found that the best spot to fish them is in either the back waters, or anywhere in the clam, away from the current. I have always had my best luck with just a small hook,sinker, and a piece of nightcrawler. I have had luck on what you described above, but not as good as I have had with nighcrawlers. Also, you don't need to cast your line all the way across the river or lake. I've had my best luck within 15 to 20 ft from shore.

As for lakes, anywhere in the shallows, preferably where sand is present. I've had great luck with all the baits listed above. I fish carp on lakes the same as rivers, small hook,sinker, and nightcrawler, and not very far from shore.

Remember, they key to catching them is being very quiet with little movement. Of all the fish I have caught, I think Carp spook the quickest.

I hope this helps!!

5. diodeman

diodeman New Member

State:
    Benton Co. Mo.
    You would go absolutely nuts if you saw the carp near the shoreline of the river upon whose banks I live. I am in the Ozarks on the shore of the mile wide and 40 foot deep Osage River. The carp are thick near the riverbank where it it shallow. You're right they can be easily spooked, but...they are so thick here that we wade out to knee deep water, we spear them and hang on because our carp can reach 40lbs. in weight. Ahhh but they do taste delicious the way my German neighbor lady prepares them.

6. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Ahh yes, up here in MN, land of 10,000 lakes, we have an over abundance of carp. I love to take a few home every once in a while to get them smoked. We spear carp up here during certain times of the year, and we do see some nice ones.

7. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    i've always had my best luck with carp by looking for large eddies in the current. they'll pool up in spots like that.they like to hang out near current, but not actually in it. i have caught a few on nightcrawlers, but never anything worth bragging about. i use a homemade doughball that i posted a recipe for on one of these carp posts.

if you have a dam somewhere nearby that has about a 15-20ft deep pool on the downstream side, then that's where i would fish. just stick somewhat close to the dam so you stay away from the currents.

8. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    has anyone ever tried the carp bait made by magic bait, they look like little marshmellows. i won some and just wanted to know if it works because i will go try it out soon.