Help with Buying Cordless Drill

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by NCCatter, Apr 26, 2006.

1. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey guys,
    I want to buy a cordless drill for working around my house, and am not sure which is the best for my needs. I want it cordless so I am not dragging and snagging a cord around all the time. I will not be using it everyday, but I want it to last a long time. I was thinking about a DeWalt 12 or 14 volt drill. My carpenter/landlord says the best one to him is a Makita, but they are more expensive than the DeWalt. I was just wondering if anyone else could share their knowledge with me about this. I know there are more knowledgeable people than me about this subject.

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if your just using it around the house then i wouldnt go off and buy a dewalt, too expensive. i bought a craftsman 18v 6 years ago for around the house, have really put some heavy use on it, and its still going strong. i paid $95 dollars for mine and it came with 2 batteries, charger, spotlight, and a rechargable screwdriver. we used dewalts at work and it seemed those things wouldnt last no time before we had to purchase another.

3. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I bought an 18V craftsman last year and it is very powerfull, it will twist the heads off of stainless steel screws if you dont watch it. It has a clutch which has like 18 different settings, and it came with a nice flashlight which has a movable head on it and uses the same battery as the drill. It came with the drill, flashlight, two batteries, charger and case for like $89.99. I thought this was the best value out there, if this one breaks which I doubt I can still go out and buy a new one and still be under the price of the dewalts or mikitas

4. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a Craftsman 19.2V drill and it will about twist your arm off... it will twist the head off a #12 stainless steel sheet metal screw.

I don't use it a whole lot but when I do I put it thru heck... its been very good to me.

Whatever brand you get, try to find one with a 1/2" chuck on it.

5. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    If I were you I would stay away from the lower voltage drills, just not enough power to do all the things that you would want to do.

6. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    I have a 15.8v Craftsman I've had for years. The charger stand quit working. I can't find another, even on Ebay. Any ideas? It's for a model 111361. My batteries are dead..........for the drill. LOL

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :) i'd Go With No Less Than An 18 Volt. Anything Less Don't Last That Long. Craftman Makes A Good One.

8. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have a Craftsman 14.4 volt cordless. Best drill I ever owned. The batteries went bad after 7 years and to get them replaced it is going to cost me $50.00 a piece for new (special order) and $45.00 to get the ones I have rebuilt. But I might just get them done. This drill still will twist your arm off at times. with the torgue adjustments. But when you buy a drill get extra batteries because like me they are hard to find replacements.

9. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I would save the extra money and put it towards a fishing trip. I have a craftsman and love it.

10. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks guys,
    Jay I think I saw that same kit you were talking about yesterday at Lowe's. Anyway if you all have had good luck with the Craftsman it would be a better value for me cuz like I said I don't do much with it, just a few projects, plus a little boat maintenance...I guess DeWalts are the "War Eagle's" of drills.. LOL

11. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i know craftsman puts their name on pretty decent stuff and like mentioned above for occasional use why spend more than you have to.
    i use dewalt at work and ive had 3 different drills in the last 10 years but these drills see almost daily use, some of which is putting 3-4 inch screws in wood .
    ive dropped them off ladders on ocassion and havent had no real issueas other than battery cost for replacement . they are a little too steep for my thinking almost to the point of buying another drill and get 2 new batterys.
    mikita is the first cordless drill i ever used and they were pretty durable
    and over the years i have had 2 since then and they were pretty decent too.
    millwaukee is very good drill durability wise but i dont care for the bulkyness although it sets up well on its base of the battery.
    ryobi is pretty economical and i have seen a few guys get those for the price but heavy duty use caused them to be cursed. LOL
    black and decker is the parent company of dewalt .id see what the prices are on those and between them and craftsman i dont see you going wrong.
    JMO take it or leave it ;) LOL

12. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I use Dewalt, Home Depot has a 12v for $99. I use them at work, "they take a licking and keep on ticking". Mine gets used every day in some pretty bad conditions. They will usually last about 5 years.

13. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    IMHO Dewalt just like Wareagle are drastically over rated. They are good but they arent better than a lot of other brands.

14. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Check Lowe's. I had good service from a craftsman but last year the batteries needed replaced and it was going to cost more for 1 battery than it was for a new drill with 2. I shopped around on the net and ended up getting a set of skil from Lowe's. I got a 1/2 drill, sander, circular saw, and a reciprocating saw (like a sawzall). It came with 2 batteries and a 2 battery charger and a big tote bag and it was like 169 dollars. I read about the work you will be doing on your new house and you'll be needing all of these tools plus some. What ever you decide on if you can get them in a kit you'll get a little better deal. I don't know how I ever survived without that sawzall, man you talk about handy. I recommend the best kit you can swing.

ST

15. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I got the Bosch 24 volt combo kit, it was pricy but awesome power! The batteries alone are 150 bucks apiece. I think ryobi cordless drills are the best deal for home owner work. I have contractor friends that swear by them!

16. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    a few years back while doing electrical construction I tried a 12v sears, I soon went to the standard Dewalt 18V 1/2" hammer drill, then 3mo later I went to truckin and now my expensive toy sets and wishes I had somethin for it to do.
    Has anyone ever hooked a reel to a cordless drill?? should pull in anything I get a hook into?

17. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Somone could make a killing retrofitting spent craftsman NiCd batteries with NiMH batteries... less memory and more juice!

18. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yes, I know they are expensive, but it could the last one you'll buy. They are built to last, have got torque that will turn the house over and like a lot of the cheap junk at the home center, they will never be taken out of the parts and service stream.

19. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    when you buy cordless drills what you are really buying is the batteries. all the drills are worth about 20 to 40 bucks and the rest is battery. the best ive ever used is bosch . i have owned dewalt there good. i have owned makita there very good. i have used some craftsman"skill brand with a sears sticker and odd size bushings" there fair. if you want a cordless drill that last start studying mha rateings instead of voltage or brand.

20. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    one more thing if your going to do any repetetive hole drilling you cant beat a corded drill. hands down milwaukee is the best corded ive used.