Help with Bunks

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Liver Slinger, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Liver Slinger

Liver Slinger New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I need some advise on putting bunks on this tilt trailer.
    Im takin off all the rollers but the end one.Thought it might help get it started on the tralier.

Im thinking doing like 2- 2X4X10' or 12' middle ???

I want to run 2 more like 6 ' long on the sides????

Should I have them under the stiffners that run the lenght of the bottom????

Really dont know where the best placement should be????

I took some pics. You can see the way it is now the short 2X4 s' its bending the bottom up when you strap the boat down.

Trin to get this thing ready before my vacation Im goin fishin

Thanks Liver

2. Liver Slinger

Liver Slinger New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Sorry forgot the pics

Attached Files:

3. Liver Slinger

Liver Slinger New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I thought I would have the 2x4 layin flat & staple carpet to them

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Ron, you have the right idea. Normally you only need two bunks. You could possibly put one under the keel so you could walk on the trailer, but I think I'd just go with two. One of your problems is the back roller. The back edge of the boat should be setting on this roller. That supports the weight of the motor, and stops some of the flexing of the transom if you leave the motor on. The bunks should not extend but maybe two inches, at the most, from the back edge. It looks like you have good 8 to 10 inches of extra runner. I've always carpet my bunks and laid them flat. Wood is cheap and if I have to replace runners once a year, so be it. The normal placement is on the outside edge of the stiffner.

5. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    One thing you can do to keep the carpet wear to a minimum is to install teflon boat slicks down the length of the bunk.......those buggers really work and make loading and unloading alot easier. I put them on my pontoon bunks this year while I was replacing the bunks and dont have to back in the water near as far as I did. They are a little pricey and I used the ones for 2x6 on my 2x4 bunks so they cover the entire width of the 2x4 and spaced them 10 inches apart. Dont take near as much throttle to back it off the trailer.

6. Liver Slinger

Liver Slinger New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks Guys
    OK so 2 is a plenty.
    As it is now the only place to bolt a bracket to is the cross member just in front of the wheels
    Lookin at the tilt trailer Ill need to weld on maybe a 2' lenght of angle iron behind where the latch is so I can bolt on the forward bunk bracket & use 10' 2X4s'.
    With it there I can still use the tilt and only the front 1/3 of the boat will over hang.

Do they make brackets that will fit a 2X4 ? 3 1/2 in. or will I need to make them?

I have a hand crank wench to put on & a rubber V notch thing the bow sits against when on the trailer.

Thanks again
    Ron

7. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Ron I was putting so many hiway miles on my boat trailer towing it all over Miss.,Ark.and Tenn.that I wanted 4 bunks.Well it worked, it's easy on the boat but the trailer floats.No big problem getting the boat out of a lake but when I pull it out of a river the trailer is floating down stream and that sometimes makes it hard to get the boat on the trailer.

8. Liver Slinger

Liver Slinger New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks never thought about the trailer floating. Maybe I need to keep the bunks shorter.

Ive been looking at small trailers and looks like the bunks on most of them
    are not very long and sit about mid ways on the length of the boat.

On my old trailer the boat sits way forward of where my bunks mount.
    Just thinking about loading the boat on the trailer. I think I need some kind of support towards the front.

I need to take a pic. of the boat & trailer.

Thanks for all the help cuz I sure dont know what Im doin.
    Ron