Help with blue catfish??

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by rebel937, Jul 24, 2009.

1. rebel937

rebel937 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ok I am fishing a pond that was made in 1955 or 56, it was stocked well in early to mid 70s with around 100 blues. How long would have these Blue Cats lived? Is it possible they are still alive and monsters? This pond has never really been fished by any one but kids so I have been fishing it the past couple weeks and catching huge bass, crappie and channel cats but I want to try to see if the blues are there and as big as I would think they should be. The pond is fairely good oval shaped sized and had a small island toward one end of it that is now sunkin to where you can barely see it, it is shallower around the island, around 6 ft? but the lagre area is around 14-16ft deep. Im not sure where to fish for the blues. All the other fish we are catching are not where you would normaly think..lol I mean we caught a 14in crappie fishing botton about 15 feet deep? Bluegill bite out in the middle on bottom, is this normal? I did get about a 7-8Lb channel cat fishing the shollower area around the island on cut bluegil, but where would the Blues be?

2. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'd say throw a trot line or some limb lines out with all different kinds of bait. Put some live bluegill and goldfish and then some cut shad and skipjack on and see what comes out to play. I'd set out probably twenty hooks, either on a trotline or on different limbs/banks all around the pond. If you don't catch any blues I doubt there are any in there. I'm not sure how old they can grow to be, someone else on here will probably have a better idea. That's my two cents, good luck!

3. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Oh, and welcome to the BOC, you'll love it here! There are a lot of great people who know a LOT about our sport...I learn something new every day!

4. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i had a neighbor build a small pond across the road from my house that he stocked with a few gills and bass. being the good neighbor that i am i sneaked 3 or 4 tiny blues into his pond. he told me that i could fish his pond if i would keep an eye on it and not let anyone fish it. after 2 years i decided that i would see how big those bass had grown. i was standing on the dam fishing the deepest part of the pond in midsummer with a plastic worm. i caught a fish that started stripping drag and took me several minutes to get in. it was a 15lb blue. man those things had grown fast. they were 6in long when i put them in there. i have moved since then and it has been 7 or so years but i'll bet those things are 30 or 40lbs by now if they havent been caught.

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcometo the BOC Darrin.

6. rebel937

rebel937 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the reply. The pond was donated to the fire department in the past couple years and they went and cut all the trees and brush down around it so a limb line is out, and I dont think they would go fo a trot line. I did try some live bluegill but didnt have much luck, did catch lots of channel cats and a 20 in bass on bluegill head though. The Channels go crazy over liver and cut gills, but I want a blue..lol Yesterday I hooked "something" on live gill but I dont know what it was, I thought I set the hook good but I couldnt pull the pole back and I couldnt reel it either. What ever it was turned tward me and the line loosened and tried to get the slack out and it took off and about yanked me in but then I lost it. I assumed it was just holding on to the gill and the hook wasnt even set.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
  8. rebel937

rebel937 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the welcome guys, this place is awesome for info. Great place and thanks to everyone in it for their help. I just got back into fishing, its been about 15 years but my 10 year old son has been on youtube too much watching everyone catch these huge catfish and he is hooked on getting one..lol

9. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Blues usually don't make it past 20 years old..Depending on its environment and the amount of forage will determine how big and how quick they will grow..In the right environment a blue will grow to 20lbs in 6-7 years..Blues are "big river" fish and do not thrive in ponds as well as channels..They also seem to not reproduce when stocked into ponds..My guess is that there are few if any in that pond..Not to mention how many times the pond may have "turned over" and killed some of the fish..Welcome to the BOC..

10. rebel937

rebel937 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the reply and the welcome. Thats kind of what I was figuring too, I just didnt know for sure. They were stocked by my dad and uncle way back, they stocked them because they were also told they were like channels and wouldnt reproduce in the pond Would be nice if there were blues but the big channels we are catching are fun too.

11. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Although they a more than likely long gone, you just never know. One way to catch them if they are there is to gear up and use big bait. If you can find some fresh fish (any kind will do) that will weigh at least 3/4 lb (about the size of your hand from tip of your fingers to the base of your thumb), you're in business. Don't go after them with some little wimpy bass rod, you need stout tackle to get one in. Put it on the bottom in the deepest part of the pond and wait them out. If they are there, you'll get some action. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

12. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Welcome to the BOC. Big live bait. If they are still there don't let your little dog or pups go swimming.:smile2:

13. rebel937

rebel937 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well I went back again last night, we caught lots of nice channels, but nothing huge....I would say they blue hunt there is over but the channels are still good fighters and the bass are all over 20in and fun to catch so its still a great fishing hole.

14. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nope..Aint nothing wrong with catching a couple nice channel cats and some bass..

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Darrin, Welcome to the BOC! It be a few Blues still left in there.