Help with bent blade on prop

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by coltsfan, Jul 29, 2007.

1. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    OK,I'M FAIRLY NEW TO ALL THIS AND DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE PROPS.I WAS RUNNING AT IDLE SPEED TONIGHT AND HIT SOMTHING.PULLED MOTOR UP AND DIDNT REALLY SEE ANYTHING WRONG.SO I RAN TO MY HOLE AND DIDNT NOTICE ANYTHING DIFFERENT.WHEN I GOT HOME TONIGHT I CHECKED IT OUT MORE CLOSELY AND NOTICED ONE OF THE BLADES WAS BENT A LITTLE.CAN I TRY AND BEND IT BACK OR DO I NEED A NEW PROP.IT IS A THREE BLADE ALUMINUM PROP ON A 90 HORSE FOUR STROKE MERCURY.THANKS FOR THE HELP

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If its bent bad enough to see it wobble or viberate then it needs to be taken to a prop shop and fixed.
    Start it on the muffs and look at it and see if it wobbles at idle or if it shakes the motor any.

3. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Kevin the same thing happened to me on my 90 hp Yamaha a couple years ago. I took the prop off and with a small hammer and a heavy piece of iron I tapped it out and filed off the rough spots with a file. Probably not as good as a prop shop but it does not vibrate and all it costed me was about 20 minutes of my time.

Cheez

4. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    i took the prop off and beat it back to pretty close as the other two blades.its not perfect.i put it back on put the muffs on it and fired it up.the shaft looks like it is turning true but the prop looks like it has a little bit of wobble to it but cant tell if it's just the motor vibrating it or its the prop unbalanced.it's not a bad wobble just a tad bit of one.should i take it in?

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Kevin, I've straightened some props before, with good success, but others were too damaged. It doesn't take a lot of vibration to cause damage to your outboard. I would suggest running it in the water and see how it feels to you. If there is any doubt, take it to a shop for repair. They have the capability to do it right. A new spare prop for mine cost about $120 for aluminum, not sure what a repair cost would be.