Help with battery and gas tank placement.

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by CatBassin', Jun 22, 2009.

1. CatBassin'

CatBassin' Well-Known Member

State:
    Harmony, NC
    Name:
    Garrett
    Do yall think if I put a deepcycle battery and a 6 gallon gas tank in the back of my boat with 20Hp outoard hanging off the back it will weigh too much in the back? My boat is a 1636 flat bottom jon and I'm trying to figure where I want to put my battery and gas tank for good weight distribution. My Pop used to put the battery in front of the middle bench and the gas tank in front of the back bench when he owne the boat. I know his way would give really good weight distribution but I would like to free the floor up a little. By the way, I weigh about 210 and will be setting in the back while driving considering I have a tiller style outboard. If yall have any other ideas of placement throw them my way any advice will be appreciated.

2. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    Ive seen some mount there gas tank under there front deck my buddy bought a flat tank and put it up front under his deck .

3. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I have a 1636 as well and added fishing platforms over the regular seats s well as a enclosed rod holder down the side of the boat. I have oth the gas tank (5 gals.) and the battery right up against the back of the boat and have no problems with running the boat at all. I have a 25 hp motor that is not a steering wheel type so I am sitting at theback of the boat as well. Works for me!
    Heres a link to a pic. of my little boat....
    http://www.catfish1.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=5984&c=26

4. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I would put it in the front.It will help even the weight out and it will come in handy if you r the only on in the boat.

5. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    Garrett,
    Welcome to the B.O.C. With all the weight in the rear of the boat, it may work okay, but I would think it would be a lot better if you could get some of the weight towards the front. much more so if you are alone in the boat. Having said that I don't like stuff in the way in the boat either! Just try it several ways and see what works best for you.
    larry

6. CatBassin'

State:
    Harmony, NC
    Name:
    Garrett
  7. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    You could always mount the battery in the livewell. For obvious reasons, i wouldn't use the livewell anymore, but that would move weight forward and keep your boat uncluttered.

8. CatBassin'

State:
    Harmony, NC
    Name:
    Garrett
    Well I thought about that, cantstopgrandma, but I am replacing the lid to make it flush mout and I'm going to use it as a cooler and sometimes as a bait tank. The livewell aint quite big enough for anything but maybe some bream for cut bait or some minnows. I might also use if I catch a few crappie and bring some home for frying, but I'll mainly use it as a cooler to hold a few drinks. I do keep going back to that and can't quite decide, it make a od place but then I would have a cooler in the floor instead. If I had to choose between the two uses it would be cooler since it has a plug in the bottom and would have a spot to drain the water. I appreciate the advice and might end up doing that but first I'm going to see how well insulated it will be, since the two sides have foam on the outside but the front and back aint. Like I said thanks for the advice.