Help with basic dip bait recipe

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Shinchan, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Shinchan

Shinchan New Member

State:
    HI but now WA
    Aloha! So I find myself with a mess of topminnows in my trap and, rather than just using them soured, I'd like to try and make a dip bait. Something that'll work with the Looper rigs (and not involve a blender- I'm still paying for that fiasco...). I looked in the member's library but I couldn't find basic recipes. Basically do I just let 'em sit and putrefy and then add some sort of binder-like lard to make it of peanut butter-like consistency? I'm all for experimenting but my wife won't let me leave jars of stuff bubbling in the garage so I have to make it count. Any suggestions?

2. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Given the situation I think I'd freeze the bait instead. :)

Luckily my wife fishes with me and is supportive of my bait making experiments.

3. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I can relate to the wife not letting things sit and ferment. I like to blend them up and let them sit in the sun until it turns into a liquid like substance. If you want it like a punch bait then add some catail or tear up some cotten and put in it. Hope that helps some.

4. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Try baby, food like oatmeal cereal, for thicken, and as stated cotton balls, pulled apart and mixed in. make good fiber, shouldn't need the cotton with looper rigs. also a natural oil, mixed in will help like fish oil, lard, also on certain types molasses or syrup is used as a thickner.
    Jim

5. Shinchan

Shinchan New Member

State:
    HI but now WA
    Thanks for the replies. So the steps are:
    1) Let mashed/chopped fish sit till gooey mess
    2) Add oatmeal or cotten to thicken (sorry no Cattails in Hawaii...)
    3) Add lard/natural fish oil and/or molasses/syrup
    4) Then maybe mix well and let, uh, marinate?
    This process should take about a month or so? How do you judge it's ready?:confused2:
    BTW, since my neighbor's cat loves to serenade me at 3 am and leave "deposits" at my place, I think I'll brew my next batch at his place where he can't find it....cat poo at my place vs. dip bait at his- no contest...:smile2:

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There's an article in our library that has lots of dipbait recipes. Even if you don't find exactly what you want there, you'll get some good ideas on how to develop your own recipe.

7. story teller

story teller New Member

State:
    illinois
    I don't know about the cat poop. Although I do have a freind that uses dog poop in his stink bait :crazy:. I never seen him catch anything with it, but he swears by it. And wonders he why I never come to anymore of his fish fries:dribble:.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    It ain't his fish that you got to worry about, it's the hush puppies!