Help with Bait Tank.

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Drawout, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Trying to add this large trash can for a bait/livewell.I am wanting tips on how to get water in and out of it easiest and maybe cheapest.I have plans to make a nice top for it so the water stays in while moving around.Here is a pic for reference.

Attached Files:

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    get a bilge pump and attach hose to top of it, when ready to fill trash can just plug up pump, set it in water, and put the hose into trash can.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    And when you get ready to empty it, reverse the process!!!

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Go to the hardware store and get two plastic pipe connectors with rubber grommets between and install one on the bottom (fill hose) and one at the top (overflow) connect your water source to the bottom and an overflow hose to the top and voila, and endless supply of fresh water for wintering your bait. Unfortunately I don't have well water so I have to change water every few days and treat it chemically.

5. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I tied mine in to the plumbing in the boat. I had a small livewell in the steering column. I used that plumbing. I added an aerator and I can keep shad alive for quite some time. But you will need an aerator either way.

6. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Thanks for the ideas everyone.

7. dwclark

dwclark New Member

State:
    texas
    use a livewell pump on the bottom of the can. have it suck the water out of the bottom and pump it to some type of filter on the top. I use a tupperware box as my filter and i can keep shad alive for days.

8. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    if you arent gonna keep bait except for a day or two you dont need a filter if you dont over crowd it. I would think you could keep a few dozen bait in that for 2 to 3 days with no filter. I use a 25 gal. tank and I can keep 5 dozen herring 1 doz small carp and a few perch alive for 2 days with nothing except oygen being put in the water. I dont have a pump or filter on my tank. it had a pump and filter on it when I bought it that drawed air in from the top and circulated the water and filter it at the same time then mixed with air and went back in the bottom of the tank but it was to hard on a battery so I took it off and now I just use a 9lb oxygen tank and a regulator and it puts a fine cloud of oxygen in the water. A 9 lb tank will last 4 days if I never turn it off. and I can get 2 filled for 7 dollars. but no noisy pumps or dead batteries and very healthy bait makes it worth it.

9. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Johnie,
    I used a plastic barrel and cut off the top 1/3rd. of it, it will hold 40gal. if you fill it all the way up. I usally use about 25-30 gal. I have 2-pumps one pumps water in from the river and one pumps water out of the tank back into the river. If you want you can just use eather one to recirulate in the tank. I have avalve to change the one in thetank from pumping water out- to airerating . I also have a over flow outlet that lets the water gravity flow back to the river. If you set your tank up high enough you can gravity flow back to the river all the time and just use one pump. I use 750gph pumps. I set a 12 volt battery next to the tank, the battery will last about 12 hours.
    You need to make sure that the tank is tyed off so it cant slide around. If the water gets rough or real windy I pump the water level down some. I have 12volt outo license plate light set in the top on the inside for night fishing. We use it for a live well when we are catching white bass.
    Good Luck Paul