Help with bait tank

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by jboy434, Aug 4, 2007.

1. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    i am wanting to make me a bait tank to keep any bream or minnows i get alive. i saw a filtration unit at walmart that is used in the gold fish ponds that people put in their yards. it circulates the water through it and it said on the package that it filters out any ammonia plus a few other things that i cant recall right now. my question is being that it circulates the water through it would i still need an aerator? second question is what can i use to feed the baitfish to keep them from dying? could i just give them some goldfish food or something?

any help is greatly appreciated.

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    jeremy. i bought a 100gal. rubbermaid livestock tank from TSC a few years back. i have a five-gal. bucket hanging over it with holes drilled around the sides and bottom. 3/4 in hose going to a garden pump your talking about. i try to suspend the bucket around a foot and a half over the tank. the bucket is 3/4 full of pea gravel. suspended by rope from the rafter above.. also i place nylon screen on top the gravel to help filter the stuff going from the tank to the bucket. the bucket not only filters, but supply enough oxygen to your tank to keep bait..shad, etc. need more oxygen, simply add another pump that has about a foot of hose that circulates the water.. giving current inside the tank. hope this helps some ...:big_smile:rollo

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i also use better bait conditioner..i think it is Sure Life.com..and i add white salt to my water from a local feedmill..pretty cheap maintenance..this adds the protection back to your bait after handling them. and helps replace the slime coat needed for them to maintain their well-being...rollo

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Rollo, that sounds like a cool setup, I may copy that. I use an old chest freezer with a power filter/aerator for 100 gal aquariums that I got on Ebay for 30 bucks or so. I also put a small pond pump in it that makes a little water fall for a little more oxygen. I have a couple of small catfish in my living room aquarium and I get little goldfish at petsmart for 12 cents each that I feed them. When I had bluegills in the aquarium, they would eat them too. 5 dollars worth of them would probably keep your bait in food for a week or so and it's also pretty cheap entertainment :wink:. Good Luck!

Branden

5. dmc888

dmc888 New Member

State:
    Lake in the hills, IL
    Don't forget like any new fish tank it will go thru a cycle probably killing most of the fish so I wouldn't start off with a lot of fish. I put 5 blue gills in my 55 and only one made it. Cycle can take two to four weeks but you can speed it up by adding lake water , river water, pond water, and established fish tank water.. Once over do a water change. The water should start to appear more clear and the fish seem better.

If your going to overstock the tank get a bigger filter with a higher gph gallon per hour. Ex a a 10g tank with a 20g rated filter.

If your going with a large tank i would try Rollo's setup. Sounds similar to a wetdry filter type setup which has more gph.

6. shovelheadfanatic1

shovelheadfanatic1 New Member

State:
    ohio
    if you go to www.procats.com and click bait tanks it shows you all kinds of ways you can make a tank.