Help with asian carp for bait???

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Missouricathunter25, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Missouricathunter25

Missouricathunter25 New Member

State:
    Weston, Missouri
    Could someone tell me or show me how to cut up an Asain Carp for bait? can you use the big Asain carp that jumps in my boat? any info will help out. I'm nw to Asain Carp as Bait. Thanks

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i don't know if their skeletal structure is any different from a common carp's, but if it isn't, you should just be able to fillet them and chunk up the fillets with the skin on. i slice commons down the back and cut around the ribs, making sure i have plenty of red meat in my fillet. i have only seen pics of those asian carp, but they look to be really bloody. if their scales have any size to them you'd probably want to scale them before filleting. i use a stout bladed skinning knife or a bowie knife for this. too bad we don't have wels cats here or we could use them as livebait!

oh yeah, welcome to the BOC from amarillo, texas!

3. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Jordan is correct . Just fillet them like you would a common carp. they have big scales so I normally scale them some before filleting them. their skin is tougher then a boot. I normally fish for big fish and just cut the fillet across ways that will make a really good size bait. just hook it through one end this will give you plenty of movement with the current. Hope this helps.. Rusty

4. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have been trying something with carp, well tried it twice now with good results. I took a few carp about 3 to 4 lbs each and while they were alive I cut off the tail and stick them in a zip lock bag to bleed out. amazing they have so much blood. after a few min 5 to 10 you should have 1/2 to `1 cup blood from each carp in the bag. then scale and fillet the carp and cut fillets into 1 to 2 inch strips and put in the bag with the blood and add a little fish oil to the mix and seal the bag. tough as leather and after using put back in bag and get another piece. it will soak up the scent over and over. freezing and thawing doesnt seem to hurt the texture or the scent none either.

5. Missouricathunter25

Missouricathunter25 New Member

State:
    Weston, Missouri
    Thanks for the information. i will defently have to give it a try. I never thought those dang Asain Carp would be good for bait. What results have you had for Asain Carp for Bait? how big Cats have You caught? Thanks

6. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    asians seem to make good bait for late summer.

from what i have heard/done you are better off to use shad/skipjack etc when it is easy o get but in late suumer when bait can be tough to find the asians work better.

just remember that you can not have them live.

7. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    My Wife and I go to the Mississippi River every Sept. for a week. Last year the biggest fish that was caught was 42 lb Blue. It was caught on Asian carp.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    you can slit the gills to bleed them into a bag, it will make the knife's edge last a little longer!