Help with "Anise Oil"

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by savage308, Jul 29, 2006.

1. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I'm fixing to make up a fresh batch of bait and have seen so much on here about Anise Oil that i figured i'd give it a shot. I'm in south texas and i'm having difficulty finding it. Any suggestions?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It is usually found in grocery stores, spice section, setting next to the vanilia extract.

3. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I've found Anise Extract at the grocer but I'd really like to find Anise Oil as it is supposed to be more potent.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Maybe you have to purchase the seeds and try to boil the oil out. I have not heard of locations which sell just the oil.

5. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    you should be able to go to your local pharmacy and get anise oil.it will come in a 1oz. bottle and should run ya bout 10 bucks.that lil bit goes a long way.the problem with anise extract is that it will not freeze due to the alcohol content.when you get your oil,be sure to get an eyedropper and you should use 8-10 drops per gallon of blood.i usually cut up the chunks first and add the anise last thing before i put them in the freezer.give the container a lil swishing before you put it in the freezer.i also add in some brown sugar and a buddy of mine used garlic powder and it is working good for him.

6. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Called the pharmecy and they didn't have it but they said they will order it for me. Thank you very much, I've searched all over town for it. Price is $10 for one ounce. Thank You for the help.

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I just use the extract brother, but good luck with the oil. Never used it but makes sense.

8. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Gonna try it in my next batch of soap bait. Anyone ever tried Anise in their soap?????

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

If you can'y find it in your grocery store by the spices you may ask at the pharmacey.

10. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    no prob.glad i could be some help:big_smile: let us know how it turns out and if you have any more questions,dont hesitate to send me a PM.GOOD LUCK!

11. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    check the trapper supply houses. Anise is used in lots of trapping baits and is readily available.

Jim

12. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    i have been told that it is illegal in the USA to buy or sell anise oil, but i would think that somebody could make it for themselves.

13. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    I've bought it from the pharmacy several times so I dont think its illegal.
    Its just real expensive. A little dab will do you though. You dont want to spill it anywhere except on your bait . It'll stink up a tackle box from now to eternity. I've also seen it melt some types of plastic while in its super concentrate form.I've also seen it catch cats when they werent biting anything else. As a matter of fact I thought there was going to be a killing one night when a buddy of mine wouldnt share the little he had left with my brother in law

14. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i found anise oil online cheap like 2.51 a bottle for one ounce at https://www.iherb.com/ hope this helps anyone :cool2:

15. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    when i put anise oil in my baits i usaly catch carp.....BIG carp....in soap i might catch a few cats but nothing to brag about really

but good luck

16. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    im in south texas to stick with the shade or peeled shrimp i used some do bait with ass oil and all i caught was mud cat and carp. yuk that stuffs funky

17. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I Have Also Found, If You Use 2 Spoons Of Anise Oil, Use 1 Spoon
    Bananna Oil, You Get It The Same Pharmacy You Got Your Anise
    Oil

18. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    Did you try a good health food store.They should have what you need.

19. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I believe you can buy it at the Pharmacy. I absolutly despise the smell/taste of anise they oughtta spell it slightly different if you know what I mean? LOL

20. guns sugar

guns sugar New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Yes anise oil is stronger and in spain they use it to make annisette liqour. It will last alot longer thna extract... ans we always got it at the pharamacy same as spirit of peppermint which by the way is wonderful for putting in your babys water bottle for collic... my son was down with it at 3 mos old and the docs didnt care so an old spanish lady told me to try this old remedy and sure enough all the trapped gas was gone in a matter of 30 min. Good luck with the anise oil!