Help with a river that connects to a Dam (Angelina River in Jasper TX)

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jsharris, Dec 12, 2006.

1. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    I am fishing from a boat in the SouthEast Texas area (Jasper). I have tried fishing from a dock for catfish but did not have any luck. I would t4ry fishing the dam but you can not get close to it by boat due to cable with booiis. i have never really catfished on a river before but then again this is not a normal river. it only flows when the dam is generating. i do bass fish on this river all the time when the dam is not generating and have great luck. i am wanting to targe mainly bigger blues and i know that they are in this river becuase i have seen them caught on trotlines. now that it is winter time do i need to target deeper holes in the river. they are working on the dam so the river is lower than it has ever been. i am thinking of using a small boat that i can carry to the water because the rams arent usable right now. this is a mid size river and is no wider than 75 yards. any suggestions would be great.

2. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    Please Help Me!!!!!! I guess no body loves me. Is it my Face!!!! I'll change it I will!!! I promise!!!

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Try baiting a hole. just throw some cattle cubes in one spot for a couple days before you fish it. the current always helps us behind lake waco, so i am assumin that it would there too.

4. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    well they arent generating and so the current isnt flowing. i have baited one hole with soured henscratch but wasnt able to have any luck with catfish. caught everything else in the world there but no catfish. we have caught a few catfish on this river including some channel and flatheads. I do recall someone catching a 15lb blue accross from my uncles camp but i never have caught a blue here.

5. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    When you say "lower than it has ever been" ... you got a basic idea of the depth of water you are talking about fishing? in the area you want to fish, does this depth vary much?
    IMO - this is an easier question to give advice on when the water is moving ... fishing a non moving, lack of current RIVER is not exactly covered in many "how to" topics. I wouldn't be surprised if the fish aren't kinda scratching their heads ... so to speak. Been many moons since I've been on the Angelina ... but you are right, that baby holds it's fair share of cats.

6. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    It does flow but very little otherwise it wouldnt be dropping. I dont think that it has any holes deeper than 12' deep. it use to have some that were 20' or deeper. It still might for all i know but right now they are still fixing the dam so it is not rising by any means. i do know that in some parts the river isnt connecting. if i could just get a boat in some where i know i could tear em up. Bass, Crappie, and Catfish. I need to find a bigger canoe and put a trolling motor on it. I want to go so bad. I do know of some wash outs that get pretty deep where the river bends. I guess it would be wise to try and fish there first. It looks like the river ct through some rock south of the 63 bridge.