Help with a night light

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by freshbaitrules, Sep 2, 2008.

1. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    I did a little night fishing and discovered I need better lighting. I have a few ideas about lighting but was hoping for some tried and true ways.

I a working on getting a police spot to mount next to the steering and throttle, for driving light.

I am looking for ideas for "fish on" and tying (untangling) situation lighting.

I am leaning towards using stern light recepticles with larger floods attached to the top so when not night fishing they can be easily removed.

2. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    for landing fish, tying rigs, and untangling things a headlamp is the way to go. it probably won't help much for navigating unfamiliar waters at night though.

3. bigboyjon

bigboyjon New Member

State:
    kentucky
    You can take a cheap clamp on light, the silver globe type cut the "male end" off, put on battery clamps, the get a 12v bulb, found in RV section. They work pretty nice. For night running I use aircraft spots for head lights works great but need a bigger size motor to keep battery charged, and I use them in short burst, not legal to burn them steady in kentucky. Always have a head lamp ready to.

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jon,
    Welcom to the BOC from So.Alabama

5. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I like the headlamp. It frees up my hands. They are also good for walking to tree stand in the dark!and doesn't seem to effect the deer much. i had 6 deer walk up to within 20 feet of me in the pitch black of morning not 5 minutes after reaching my stand. the light was off and i was still on the ground. Interesting that that was the first time i used it and 1 hour later i got my pb avery nice 8 pointer!!!:big_smile:

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The clip on the hat brim L.E.D. lights are great. Batteries last forever. If you get one that has red or green bulbs, you can still see fine to tie knots, untangle lines, cut bait, and play fish and not have the bugs swarm you.

I tried the 12 volt light bulbs when I used to summer night fish the James. The bugs were as awful as the fishing! One of the reasons I quit summertime night fishing.

I can't help you with running lights. Running fast at night, I thought headlights or spots were illegal?

Come on cold weather and daytime fishing!!!!!

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jon.

8. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    head lamps are good ideas, but a little food for thought...if youre good at wiring stuff, get you some red (not the amber) LED chicken lights (you know for tractor trailers...you can pic them up at NAPA stores, the lights and the wire connectors fairly cheap) and place them on the inside of your boat. we have 2 at the present time, one on the side of the console and one the front wall (where the storage compartments are) the red isn't blinding, but provides enough light to see where youre stepping or even to search your tackle box, and it doesn't interfere with your night vision. we still have a flashlight or 3 on the boat for everyone, when they need it too. Sorry, I dont know all the exact technical terms for parts of the boat...I leave that stuff to my husband.

good luck:big_smile:

9. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    I use the clip on lights like Kenneth uses for tying and baiting up.
    I use hi-vis flouresent green line on my reels and a black lite to show the lines.Don't have many bugs also.
    mikeb

10. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Well I ended up purchasing two stern lights on 5' poles, removed the stern lights and replaced them with 55watt running lights (similar to fog lights)

I mounted them in the very front and aimed them towards the back of the boat. The angle of the mounts leans them forward out of casting range pretty well and the height puts the angle downward so that they are not blinding.

Using the standard bow/stern light mount makes them easily removable and easy to store. Pretty pleased how it turned out. :roll_eyes:

11. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Now that's a method I want for my boat!!!! Thanks

12. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Good point, Shirley.

I was able to purchase a Coast professional headlamp from Costco for around $20. This headlamp is outstanding! The battery pack fits on the back of your head, and features a slide that adjusts the light intensity of either a white or red LED. The light is always directed just where you need it. On full intensity, the white LED is blinding and the red is sufficient to see anything at night.

Red light is used in military applications routinely because it does not affect night vision, as Shirley stated. Many feel that it does not spook the fish either.

13. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks Joel,
    That was just one of those things that I learned from my husband. If it helps out someone, than I'm happy!! .... It just proves that some of us women really do listen when our husbands talk! :smile2:....

14. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I gotta agree with this post. We did the same thing, used a 50watt RV bulb in the " silver clamp on spot light ". Use a painters pole, pool cleaning pole etc to raise to up high ( 8'-12' up in the air ). The poles will actually screw into the loop of the silver clamp on light.

For a spot light we use 37watt car headlamp in a crappie light, LOL. Not the best I guess but it sure works fine.

I still wear a headlamp but the cost of batteries was just crazy. That light pole lights up the boat perfect. Mount it close to the bait tank or where you tie your rigs. Keeping it up high keeps the bugs far away. All light attratcts bugs..unavoidble , but keeping it high keeps them away from ya. Even headlamps will attract bugs pretty quick.

The draw is really slow and running them all night is no problem. I've eliminated my cost once again by not using my headlamp so much.

I also made a over head light using a crappie light and it rocks !!

-Jim-