Help with a new addition...

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by vegasryder, May 7, 2007.

1. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    My guess is that it could be a carb problem,it might need a good cleaning.Or you might have to get the needles some adjustment.I`m sure some of the more knowledgeable guys here will chime in.Dont forget to change the fuel filter also.BTW,post a pic of the part your talking about with the fuel squirting out of.

2. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    My guess would be that you need the carbs rebuilt. Sitting for so long even with stabil in it will screw things up. If the carbs happened to leak a little during that time, then things inside most likely dried out and have a lot of gum on them.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Pull the carbs and do a rebuild. That requires soaking each one and installing a new needle and seat with all new gaskets. Taking it off and wiping it out ain't gonna get it done. I almost bet when you tear them down you will find oil like gume all in the bottom of the bowls. It is going to have to have a new water pump installed and when you added the new gas was there old gas in the tank. If there was then when you try running it again you are going to dirty thos carbs back up again.

Running with the choke on is not good for the motor it will do cylinder damage to it. As for the clip I have no earthly idea what you would be talking about.

Read this and it should help.http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7563

This will give you a general idea on carb cleaning.http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11900

4. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i feel your pain! that lil thing that looks like a tire cap is some kinda piece (forgot name) that routes fuel to your carb. it probly has a small crack in it. the wierd thing is when you choke it the motor runs but when you dont choke it dies. well i had the exact same problem on a 40 evinrude. i rebuilt the carb... nothing. i flushed the gas tank and replaced lines nothing... i was about to replace the fuel pump when my dad walked up and said heres your problem. the cool thing was it only took me about 15 min. to replace and it only cost about 5 bucks. b4 i rebuilt my carb and all that jazz, i would pop that whole piece off and take it to your nearest shop for a replacement. try that it could save you time and heartache. good luck.
    j.d.

5. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Yeah sometimes its the small things that go bad but I would still rebuild them and put in a new water pump.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Guys I don't want to pee in no ones Wheaties bowl but when an engine has sat for two years without running there is no simple quick fix. There are things that need to be done that can not let go but this is only advice I am offering and by no means a absolute thing you have to do. But from my own experience I will bet a dollar to a dough-nut hole if those carbs had fuel left in them they will have to be rebuilt. This picture was from one that sat for two years with fuel in them.

Attached Files:

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Bubba, we're running into this same problem again. Guys, this is not a freakin chat room and if that offends any one, I really don't give a damn.

Questions get asked and you get all the wanna be's answering with I guess this, and I guess that crap.

Do the guy with the problem a favor and stay the hell out if you don't have a positive answer pertaining to the question asked. This site is full of places to go bs in, and if you want this place too, then I'll stay the hell out.

Now as for the red thing that's squirting fuel. it's at the top of your primer and either the top is cracked, or the red lever assembly needs replaced w/the o-ring on it. What looks like a tire valve is where you can inject engine tuner or fogging oil right out of the can, if you buy the Johnson/Evinrude products. Some Merc products will work also if you can use te top from the Evinrude products,

You also need your carbs done and filters changed. or you can listen to the wanna be's

Hey Bubba, how was that for an answer?

8. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    lol! damn fella's. i wasnt tryin to piss in nobodies wheaties. i never even said i was a mechanic. but that "red thing" you just described is exactly what was wrong with my old evy. and it had all the same symptoms. granted i did rebuild the carb first and a handful of other things, but eventually that was the fix for me. im not sayin that its the only fix, but it could be part of it. but dont worry bo-n-bob i'll stay the hell out of your way from now on. damn no hard feelins huh? life's too short.

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    One more thing some of the wanna be's forgot or just plain don't know about, is, you should have a fuel/water seporator on that boat. With a built in tank especially. If you had any fuel in it, it should've been drained and trashed.

If there's not one installed, it would help tremendously to get one on that boat, especially since you've got years of condensation collected in the fuel tank.