Help With A Float Rig ????

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Catmaxx, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Catmaxx

Catmaxx New Member

State:
    ohio
    Still new to fishing, I have done all my fishing on the bottom with cut bait
    Now i would like to explore more and try to use a float with live bait. What all do i need to purchase, i know there are all kinds of size floats, i was wanting to use the straw and float combo. I am using 7ft ugly stick tiger medium heavy rods with Abu Garcia 6500 C4 Reels, 6/0 Gamakatsu hooks
    Just wanting to try something different so any help will be appreciated
    thanks..

2. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Welcome to the site Thomas! Lots of friendly folks willing to share some good info here. Here's a link to instuctions on one good (and cheap) way to float fish with live or cut bait from the member library (Thanks Rollo)http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93090

3. Catmaxx

Catmaxx New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks for the Help

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    We have different size floats made for big baits and catfish give our products a look.
    http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/index.html

5. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Almost all of my fish are caught using a balloon for a bobber. I blow it up big enough to hold an eight inch glow stick wrapped around it. Under that I use a 3 way swivel with a drop line for a sinker and a leader at least 1 ft long. I like this rig as I can float it right up to heavy cover and it is great seeing that glow stick take off and go under.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48924&d=1221510149

6. Lignum

Lignum New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I just made 6 of those this past week and tried two of them out Saturday night and they worked perfectly. Cheap and effective and no cussing when and if you ever get snagged up and lose one. Losing a float rig is inevitable some time, this is a good way to start.

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    my biggest thought is if you are fishing from shore, are those foam floats going to give you enough weight to lob it out in the water where ya need to put it sometimes?

i use the 8 and 10 inch wood floats so i can get some distance if i need too.

i have seen a few people use balloons from a boat,but kinda limited on shore unless you fish with the wind at your back all the time.

8. Lignum

Lignum New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If you use some weight, sure. I had about an ounce and a half of lead, with a 5" belly on the hook and was able to lob that bad boy out about 30 to 50 yards. I was not being aggressive at all. I'm sure that if you had a couple of ounces, (3 to 5), like my buddy uses with his wood floats, it shouldn't be much of a difference at all.

9. J4ck

J4ck New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I was going to try this float rig this comming up weekend but was wondering how do yoou tie the balloon to your line to keep it from comming off?

Thanks

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Goodluck with the floats. I have been using them with great results. Cheap to make, and durable! Thanks Garrett for the link to help.:wink: Welcome to the BOC Thomas!!! rollo

11. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    TIE YOUR LINE ON THE SAME PLACE YOU TIED THE BALLON SHUT.