HELP with a baitcaster

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by matt, Sep 23, 2005.

1. matt

matt New Member

State:
    Anderson SC
    I have a shakespeare skp 2000c baitcaster on a 7 foot ugly stick.
    is this a good real for catching big cats on?
    And what am i doing wrong every time i cast it i get a bird nest so PLEASE TELL WHAT AM I DOING WRONG

2. matt

matt New Member

State:
    Anderson SC
    is there anybody that will help me out

3. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    baitcasters are tickie you have to get use to the brake.What I do is when I cast I keep my thumb lightly on the line as it is running so it wont over spin then when it hits the water I but my thumb all the way down to stop it. Hope this helps. I am no baitcaster expert. Take it easy

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Adjust the casting brake so that your line just barely feeds out with the baited rig hanging off the end of the pole. It should drop very slowly. Then when you throw it, keep your thumb lightly over the spool and be ready to stop it when your bait hits the water.

If you change the weight of your bait rig, you need to readjust the brake.

5. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    thanks I think you helped me out too didnt know how to adjust brake

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Wanted to add something to what Mr T said. When the line feeds out slowly it should be able to hit the ground and then stop without a backlash. I would also suggest loading up with some cheapo line and practice with that. No sense backlashing with expensive line.

The way I learned to use a baitcaster was I just took off the hook and practiced over and over etc... Also dont try and cast a mile yet. Just worry about your thumb on the line. Like others have said use your thumb to control how fast the line feeds out and be patient. Ive since taken the brakes out of my 6500's. It will take some time and you will get backlashes.

As far as your reel goes how much line and how heavy line does it hold. I had an old shakespeare skp3000 baitcaster but the baitclicker went bad. I now have 3 6500's and love them. Have them for over 5 years and no problems. Ive also heard great things about Penns and the Shakespeare Tidewaters.

7. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    When you do get a bird nest, don't try yanking it out, that will only make it worse. Usually when a nest happens, a loop of line has been created, as long as that loop can't come out, neither can the nest. As soon as the nest happens, here is what I do: Look at the spool and try to pull out any loops, when you pull the line out do it lightly and keep your thumb lighltly on the spool so it (the nest) doesn't get worse. When you start to be able to freely pull out line, make sure to pull enough out so that you get rid of any nests that may be further down in your spool, otherwise your still asking for trouble. Hope this helps, best of luck!

8. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    Helped me out. Does the type of line help like mono and braided

9. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    the brake us under the grag star. the way to adjust is rig your rod the way you use it loosen the brake until the hook and sinker falls to the ground without backlashing and without any thumb pressure on the spool. sometimes it helps to have it a dsb tight if you are learning to cast them. the line size and weight has some bearing on it also. once to backlash one the line gets kinks in it and makes it harder to cast. i keep mine real loose so i can cast it farther. but once you get it adjusted just practice and you will learn to cast it. just remember to barely touch the spool with your thumb so when it hits the water the spool doesnt keep going the when it hits and the spool is stopped lighten the pressure to let line off as it sinks. learn to cast them and you will not use anything else.

10. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
  11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Good advice so far, but I'll add a little more. First, practice with just a fairly heavy sinker, without a hook. Don't even attempt to get distance; concentrate on making a smooth cast without backlashing. If all you can do at first is 20', no sweat; when you can do that repeatedly, start trying for just a little more distance; get that down pat, then try for a little more. Once you can cast a decent distance with that sinker, switch to a slightly lighter sinker, and start over. Remember, every time you change sinker weights, you will need to readjust your spool drag. (That's NOT the drag that you use for fighting a fish!) Back when I learned to cast a baitcaster, there weren't and drags on the reel, and the reel handle turned as you cast out. I can remember spending hours in the driveway alongside the house practicing casting into buckets and boxes set out at various distances.

12. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    I honestly have never used braided line on any of my baitcasters, I have Berkely Trilene 20lb spooled now and it casts well. The heavier the line, the more difficult it is to cast. Braided line is thinner than mono when you compare test strength. I caught the 52lber in my avatar on 17lb Berkely mono. I have used braided line in the past on my open face Shimano reel, but I noticed that the waxy layer that is put on it at the factory wore off after a few months. The wax layer keeps the line from sticking to itself, so I had to replace the line. :sad:

13. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I just put Power Pro on one of my 6500's for the first time. Seems to cast smoother and farther. I would not recommend starting out with such an expensive line at first. I practiced with the cheapest mono I could find in the same test poundage I would use. I threw away the cheap stuff once I got the hang of it. Once your casting without backlashes then try the high dollar lines. Would you rather throw away 3-4 bucks or 10-15 learning to cast.
    I went through a whole spool of eagle claw mono 17lb before I learned to cast a baitcaster. Ever since then I have had few backlashes and hardly any I couldnt untangle.

14. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    i didnt like the braided line on a baitcaster dug in to much. real bad after fighting a big fish.i use 30 lb. cajun and it cast real well with 1 to 2 oz sinkers.
    the heavies the line the weight it takes to cast.

jtrew i still acouple of those old bait casters. some of those things get on the money now.

15. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    also a good thing to remember which i can do at times is if you are using the clicker is turn the handle to lock the spool before you try to break a fishes neck that makes a big mess also :cursing: and causes you to lose the fish.

16. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    when adjusting the brake be sure not to over tighten the brake there is a steel cross on the inside the sideplate that has 4 carbon balls on the ends and the arms that hold them break very easy and results in no brake adjustment untill replaced :crying:

17. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Just make sure like everyone says to adjust the break. It's best to have it alittle to tight then too lose at first. The tighter it is the harder it is to cast very far. As you get use to it losen it up.

18. catfish_ken

catfish_ken New Member

State:
    Belton,SC
    Thanks for the info you guys. I just bought a abu garcia 6000 and have never used a bait caster. I see plenty of pratice in my future. This has helped me alot. This is why I joined this club. A lot of info from people who know . thanks again

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Once you've become an accomplished baitcaster, you'll probably begin trying to make longer casts than you've been able to make up to that point. Remember that as the line pays out off the spool, the diameter decreases, and the spool has to make more turns to pay out a yard of line. That increases the drag, which decreases the length of the cast. Obviously, if you start out with a larger diameter spool or a wider spool, fewer turns will be needed for a long cast than if you are using a small diameter narrow spool. However, another thing to consider is the diameter of the line. For instance, a 100 yard cast will decrease the spool diameter considerably less if the line diameter is the same as 14# mono than if the line diameter is the same as 50# mono. Thus, assuming everything else is equal, you should be able to make a longer cast with 14# than with 50#. That's the advantage of using a braided superline.

20. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    this is not MY idea but instead others that have in the past said to put
    black tape on the spool at a point that is adequete enough distance .

in other words lets say you think you can cast 40 or 50 yards to get to the spot you want your bait ...then walk that distance of line out and put a strip of tape on the spool and wind it back up then you wont have as much line at your
    disposal to get nested up .
    give it a try...
    this works with your braided line that loves to dig into itself also.