Help with 209 drag

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by cathouse, Oct 18, 2006.

1. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    hello all as stated in my first post i own several penn reels among others but my question is on the 209 drag ? I was tinkering like i often do when cabin fever strikes. and noticed that the 209 drag does not lock down very tight at all as compared to say my 140 , 210 or 310 how do you go about testing drag and what should i look for as far as results.

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Don't have no idea about the 209 drag,however WELCOME to thBOC Family. I'm sure someone will come up with an answer.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Schematics show the Penn 209,309 and 500 Jigmaster with the same drag.Drag wore out?Could you have gotten oil in the drag?I have heard of WD 40 causing this when it gets inside a reel.It is a solvent and thins your internal lube,which runs into your drag washers."Good drags and level winds are built to give 1st.rather than destroy the reel".The old Penn man in Philadelphia told me this years ago.For years this reel has been a favorite among the saltwater weakfish crowd along the South East Atlantic coast.A 209 reel,7-8ft.med.rod and a bucket of live Shrimp.It was and is known as a "Trout rig".The Shrimp are usually fished with a cork.Some times with a "Popping Cork".peewee-williams

4. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Thaks PeeWee if that could be the case would degreasing the whole reel be the solution and if so what should i use ?

5. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I am trying to find out.Check the section on Reel repairs and upgrades.So many have changed their drag design,materials,methods and instructions for drag maintenance and replacement.Many of the old drags were considered ruined once they were contaminated with oil.Gasoline and Kerosene was pretty much the universal solvent and cleaning materials then.We have solvents now that may clean or even dissolve them.Go to www.pennparts.com .Search this site well.Reel maintenance and repair tips recommends "NO grease" on the new HT-100 drag material per Penn.Aftermarket "Smoothies" recommend it on theirs.In a used reel,we seldom know what drag is in it without disassembly.Even then,few of us are familiar enough to know.Reel drags are like brakes and clutches on vehicles.They wear with use.The more use or abuse the quicker they go.They are designed to be replaced in quality reels.There is so much new and aftermarket replacement now,it is hard to keep up.Let us all know as you find out things too.peewee

6. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have been searching for drag info.and a answer for the first thread.Best that I can see,lube or over lube still seems to be a major problem with reels.We like too much lube.Hot weather.A fine fish heating up that drag,and letting solvents such as WD 40 ( I love and use it ) get inside,wash and dilute our lubes where they get off of the right places and into the wrong places.People who sell lubes promote the use of lubes to sell lubes.Many modern lubes are not compatible with the lubes that came in the older reels.Some have been known to turn to liquid when mixed.Some of you older mechanics may remember the auto makers going through this,as did all forms of machinery in the late 60's and early 70's.The new "soap based"lubes did just that.When mixed with the petroleum based grease or oil,it mixed,thinned and all of the lube broke down to a mess.It was called "soaping up" That is why you should remove all old lube,before using a new type or brand of lube.Some of the new lubes seem to brag about how good they are about getting into places and lubing everything.Is that what you want? I don;t.I want my lubes to stay where I put it at times and "creep"at others.That is two completely different properties.Many mechanical devices will quickly fail with the wrong lube,too much lube as well as too little lube in both the right and the wrong place.Beware of anything advertised to do it all.Those advertisements are made by people who live in New York City and work on Madison Ave.The rest of the world is "The Jungle" and we are all "savages" who live elsewhere.Their "Job is to sell,not be a Priest", according to the two I once met.Due to plastic in reels,the following is to be considered cautiously.A slipping drag.If it were mine,I would try cleaning it with "a auto brake pad cleaner" from any auto parts store and hope.Remember that the lubes with "Teflon" and other solid additives will not dissolve and wash off easily.They were designed to stay.If the drag is no good as is,what have you got to lose?peewee

7. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    you seem to have a wealth of knowledge as do many other at the BOC

8. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I am old.I have experience.Most of it is old.Some of it is still good.A lot is of no use now days.I have been searching the net looking for answers to the first thread.A little of my experience and a lot of other peoples knowledge is in my post.Good people sharing is the foundation of my post.I wish that I was smart enough to know it all.I am never sure about what I think that I know.Too much has changed in my life time.I am trying to help,and learning also.I have time to search.Understanding what I find is my biggest problem.Everyone knows a lot of things.Everyone does not know a lot of things.The BOC is all about caring about each other and sharing what we know.We have our scavengers come and go.I believe many of them learn to care and share on here.We are family.At the least I am a brother.I can be a grandpa if needed.Thanks,peewee

9. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    the drag. That could include the spacing sleeve (#9), all of the metal washers on the bridge assembly and of course new drag washers. On the 209 I rebuilt took all of the metal drag washers except for the top tension washer and ground them flat using first 1000 grit sand paper, then 1500 grit and finished with 2000 grit. Made sure the washers were nice and flat. Be sure and use water with this paper. Just put the paper on a flat surface and go slowly. The sand paper is 3M brand and you can get it at a shop that supplies body shops. Combine all this with new drag washers and NO lube on the drag washers.