Help with 1992 70 HP Outboard Motor

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by APD1146, Mar 26, 2006.

1. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    help with 1992 70 hp. :sad:
    No manual for same to start with.
    I have a 1991 or 92 Force 3cyc. 70hp that has a problem. Several years back I had the hold lower unit rebuilt. It has always been a hard starter but as of late will not start at all. It tries to start for about 6-7 seconds then nothing. The starter is usually hot. I had it rebuilt professionally and reinstalled it. I checked the plugs and wires and found them good, as well as the fuse. I put water to it and a fresh charged battery that was new. Itried to start it and again it tried hard for 6-7 seconds and then nothing. A second try and the same results. I could not touch the starter at all it was that hot. It was running great up to this point when on the water. Hard starting, but it started everytime. Is it possible that it jumped timing ? I can't think of anything else. I have most of the work done professionally as I don't mess with things I don't know. Is there any help out there without having to take it back to the shop as fishing is starting here in about 2 weeks.
    HELP !! :confused:

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I'd first disconnect the wire harness from the key switch. eliminating a harness or key switch problem, then with a remote starter, try cranking it again.

When you say "nothing" after cranking for a few seconds, what do you mean exactly.

If you don't understand about disconnecting your harness from the engine, then get it back to a shop.

3. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    As i say after trying to start it a time or two it then does not want to even try to crank over. When I do first try it will turn over for a couple seconds and then nothing. And the starter is "HOT" to say the least. I don't want to burn out the new starter.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Check the ground wire going to the motor from the battery. Sounds like she is grounding thru the starter.