Help! wingdam navigation

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by flat fighter, Aug 26, 2008.

1. flat fighter

flat fighter New Member

State:
    kansas
    I need some help i have been on the mo numerous times and tried to fish the flats behind The wingdams but always had problems =1 time stuck in the mud =1 time pretty much spinning in circles =another time just chickened out any of you guys have any tips on approaching them. I fish from a 20' roughneck with a 70 horse yamaha so power is not a problem just need some tips on choosing a appropriate wing and approaching it. Getting stuck on a mud flat at 3:30am is not my idea of a good time. any help,tips,or ideas on my pathetic wingdam skills would be greatly appreciated:big_smile:

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    If you are approaching on the downstream side on an uncut wingdam (no notches blown in it) the deepest part is usually right behind the dike. If you're not sure how deep it is, approach it parallel with the dike as close to the dike as you can safely get. But if you're wanting to fish the flats, I generally stay closer to the downstream dike and fish about 2/3 of the way between the dike above me and the one below me on the flat.

If there are notches cut in it, all bets are off. You'll have a deep slot behind the cuts, but you'll typically have big piles of sand on either side of the cut.

As far as spinning in circles, you're most likely trying to anchor too close to the dike and/or too close to the bank and getting in the back eddy. Watch the foam and debris floating and you'll see the current is running backwards for a short distance behind the dike. Your boat is going to do exactly what that foam and trash is doing if you anchor in it - spin in circles in the eddy:wink: You can either move further down from the dike or further out towards the current until you have enough current to hold your boat reasonably straight. I don't mind a little boat swing, but it drives some people nuts.

As far as an appropriate dam, I usually look for one with a decent scour hole and a nice transition from the channel on the sandbar/flat. If I could figure out which ones would produce fish consistently and why, I'd quit my day job.:big_smile:

Go slow any time you're moving around on the flats, and if possible get out before dark, check out your spots and mark them on GPS if you have it. That way at 3:00AM you KNOW the spot you're going to is deep enough.

Good Luck!

Branden

3. flat fighter

flat fighter New Member

State:
    kansas
    Thanks branden that is some help i usually fish the deep scour holes on the outside bends of the river so this wingdam thing is virgin territory for me. I will go this weekend and give it another try:big_smile:

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Brandon explained it about as well as possible, the only thing I will add is go very slow and watch your sonar. Anything less than about 6 feet deep is getting into danger territory. I mostly try to explore in the daylight, and fish known waters after nightfall. If I do try a new spot at night, I try to stick to deeper water, 8-10 feet, and then cast toward the shallow.

5. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    With your boat and if your fishing with a partner I would just approach the wingdam as Branden stated and go through the scour hole and into the still water and throw your anchor on the dam (this is if you want to fish the low side). No swaying and you get access to most of the hole and the downstream areas as well. You could also go above the dam and throw into it but for me the anchoring is hard, easier to lose an anchor and hangups are much more prevelant. I get more nervous when unexpected sandbars come up than mudflats. I know you can get out and push but I like my behind in the boat not out of it. Good luck and let us know how the weekend went for you.