Help! When do you fish?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by flathead willie, Oct 5, 2007.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    My cousin just moved here from Jersey. He is a fishing fanatic but he is having some problems. He's been used to fishing for Bluefish and not much else. Now he is going to a local farm pond that has some nice cats in it, a very big lake, and mountain rivers. The only problem is his hours. He gets up about 4:00AM and is in bed at 7:30PM. (He works with me and we don't start work until 9:00AM). I've tried to tell him that he would do better catching cats if he stayed up and fished at night. He refuses!! (He says he's not changing his habits for anyone!) I guess I should have tried to make this a poll but I don't know how. Anyway, I'd like to hear what you guys think about the best hours to catch catfish.

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    :0a21:Do you guys work on weekends?:0a28:

3. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    hey bro...you know me...i'll fish anytime i can but some people find it hard to break a routine they are used too

4. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

ill go fishing on cristmas morning if ya got a good spot, missed thanks giving last year due to perch fishin, but hey theres a saying that only catfisherman can say "ITS NEVER TO LATE TO GO CATTIN" the later the better, i fish from 10 till bout 2 on average and if there still hitting ive watched the sun come up....

5. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks! Me too! I love to fish but I've always had the best luck with cats from dark until 2:00AM. Now with Smallmouth, I like to start out early in the morning and float the river all day.

6. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Sometimes we work weekends but not right now. We have a pretty flexible schedule. My cousin wants to catch BIG catfish. I've always had far better luck at night. How about you?

7. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Well I haven't caught that HUGE flathead yet. My PB flatty was just over 11lbs, and my largest channel was 18lbs both were caught at night. I suggest you sit him down and explain that the bigguns will come in due time. Thats what my wife always tells me lol. :wink: Drag him to the water and once his line gets wet you'll see him wanting to go fishing more for the cats.

8. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    To bed at 7:30!! Oh my god is he still in diapers also.:smile2:
    I usually don't even get out to the river untill the sun is setting. Doesn't he know life starts after dark?

9. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    The best time to fish is when you get a chance!! forget all those moon charts and phases..If you get a chance to go take it!!

10. okiefishkiller

okiefishkiller New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i fish for flatheads in the fall and winter on the kerr nav. channel here in ok. i fish both jugs and rod and reel. ive caught big fish (over 30 lbs) in the middle of the day.my largest tho came eary daylite (70 lbs). i think the best time for really big fish is between 4 and 8 am, but if its raining or heavy overcast i think the bite gits longer. hope this helps.:wink:

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Willie, if he's from Jersey he's not used to it being safe after dark, LOL. I suggest ya double up on the biscuts and gravey, & let him get used to his new surroundings.
    Just wait for gun season, he's gonna want ta do a "drive by", after dark.

:big_smile:

12. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I fish daylite hours.I take the kids a lot.we catch some fair fish.I just don't fish at night that much.

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

I fish early in the morning myself. I like fishing for channels when the sun comes up and I find a shallow spot where there chasing the bait. Usually lasts for an hour then dies off.

14. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    Hi Willie:

Catfish aren't native to these shores so I can't post any kind of experienced comment on this one.

However, catfish feeding habits are very similar to my chosen predator....Pike. The best time to chase 'em is DUSK, so i'm inclined to side with YOU on this one.