Help! What species is this? pics

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by ultramindbrk, Nov 29, 2009.

1. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My buddy caught this tonight ...Anyone know what it is? Thanks for the help...Wierdest catch I have ever seen..He caught him at the Sandy Slough in Winfield..Just did a search for mud puppy..Probably what it is..But maybe someone knows for sure?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That would be a mudpuppy. I call em waterdogs. Did he ever flare his gills out?

3. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Not really..His gills looked cool though..I wish I had a 55 gallon aquarium..he'd be in it right now!

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    LOL! 30 would do, thats what I have. Course ive never caught a waterdog.. if I ever do he may go in it. I think they could get used to captivity fairly quickly. Sometimes chicken livers get em. Congrats though on catchin it.

5. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Thanks for posting Tim. Haven't seen one for years. He brings back memories. Thanks again. whiteriver

6. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I am not sure but I believe they are protected in Misouri. Before you keep one you might want to check with MDC

7. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That was where I saw one last, in Missouri on the Current River. Weird looking creatures, but interesting to look at.

8. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri
    I sure hope you took him back to Sandy Slough. Their numbers are dwindling in Missouri.

9. festus

festus New Member

Yep, that thing is a mudpuppy. I haven't seen one (other than the Chattanooga aquarium) since the mid-1970's. I caught one in the Emory River back then that was at least 15" long.

They make good muskie, bass, and catfish bait, but they're too endangered a species to waste them.

10. festus

festus New Member

We also have a bigger salamander called "Hellbender" in Tennessee and Missouri. They get about 2' long and don't have the flared gills. They aren't considered an endangered species in Tennessee yet, but it's still unlawful to have one in your possession.

11. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    If I was you I would use him for bait there good for really big flathead!!!

12. CANCATCHCATS

CANCATCHCATS New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    I live near were the Gasconade river meets the Missouri.
    If you trotline the Gasconade with minnows late winter early spring you may get unlucky and have one on almost every hook. We also call them salamanders or worse when you start takaing those slimey $bs off the hook.

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Here in New Mexico,We call that "bait". we got tons of tiger salamanders here.

14. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    During the spring up here in Ohio you can catch them. We caught four mud puppies in one day fishing ealy spring this year on night crawlers.

15. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yep lol gotten em up around first creek a time or 2 walleye fishen

16. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Looks like a salamander/mudpuppie. It has been ages since I have seen one. Thanks for the pic:cool2:

17. westman407

westman407 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Looks like he wasn't fast enough to me. Neat catch.

18. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I havet caught one YET..lmao...I have got freshwater eels in the mizzo river in iowa!!!they make goor bait for what it thought was a big channels..Buti ti turned out it was a huge @$$ turtle!!lmao

19. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    It's been a long time since I've seen a Mudpuppy/Salamander. We used to have them all the time in the cellar of our farm house. We had the Tiger Salamander variety. They were black with yellow stripes. Some of them would be over 2' long. Pretty cool looking!!