help! what is the best bait to use this part of the river?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by thecatman, Oct 12, 2008.

1. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    ok guys i'm new to fishing for blues the area i fish for blues is murky water not too terribly deep from what i've seen up to around 10ft but probably deeper up river a ways a slow current is always there have caught some small blues under 5lbs and i managed 2 nice ones years ago but that was when the river rose around 5-6ft in just a day or so what do i need to look for and what is the best bait to use this part of the river has a ton of brush and some large rock walls

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I would be looking for holes with wood and the bait of choice would what is in the area (shad or gills ) fished with a slip cork. hope this helps you

3. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i agree use some cut bait

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    you need to find areas that hold bait fish... any creeks that feed the river of spillways are good places to find bait and the fish wont be far behind...

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    you answered your own question look for high water and like biga said try to fish the mouth of a creek or like aera. use some big cut bait because in high water its usually murky water and the fish will follow the blood sent better than finding a swimming fish.

6. Techno2000

Techno2000 Member

State:
    New Orleans,LA
    Here in the New Orleans area the Blues in the Mississppi river LOVE fresh shrimp to Death.:wink:

7. brotherknothead

brotherknothead New Member

State:
    Ft Campbell, KY
    Like catman said I would try using a slip rig. Second find where the deep spots are in the river, log jams on top and structures underneath the water and fish these spots. Depending on what size you want to catch try liver, nightcawlers. But for bigger fish try panfish, cut shad or skip jack.

8. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    yeah i have been using larger live gills and some live shad and also using large shad heads fishing the log jams in the eddy's in the current but i havent caught much of anything at all nothing worth talking about atleast