Help w/ Abu 6500 Trophy

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by H2O Mellon, Mar 29, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Guys,

I found out that I need a couple things for a Trophy 6500. 1st of all & the easiest thing, is I need 2 side plate screws. 2nd I think I left the drag cranked down all winter long & now need to replace the drag washers or something like that. Even w/ the drag tightened all the way down, you can pull line off. I have tried on more than one occasion to fix Abu's, but I have stopped trying because they end up in worse shape. I figure this reel is wirth the $ to fix. Does anyone want to take on a soide job & fix this? I'll pay whatever you think is a fair price for whatever you decide is wrong w/ it Time really isnt an issue.

Thank you

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hey Mellon let Jack fix it for ya :p , he needs something to do while the back gets better.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i can fix it for ya, pay me in sinkers. dont give it to Jack for gods sakes, he'll throw it in the trash!

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    throw it away, throw it away!..I tried to tell Mellon about leaving his drag crnked all the way down..I back mine off after each trip

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Why fix it?:confused: You by your own admission havent caught a fish in so long it wouldn't matter if you left the side plates off.YOU worrying about the drag is the best joke we have had in a long time.The drag isn't broken its at the "ALWAYS SKUNKED" setting!:p :) :rolleyes: :cool: ;)

6. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

LMAO way too funny!!!

7. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i can fix it for you if you want to send my way.

8. skerzfan

skerzfan New Member

State:
    Hastings, NE
    This may not be your problem but it may help someone else with the same symptoms. If you are using one of the super-lines without a mono backing on the spool it could be the line is slipping on the spool. After drying out all winter long it may have shrunk enough for the problem to show up.

Check and see if the spool is moving or just the line.

9. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Good call Skerzfan, I use braided-Fireline line on a spinning rod for smallies and that always happens, its really annoying until I figured out to use a Mono section for backing. That fixes it!

Salmonid

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No braid for me! The drag was cranked real tight for a long time.

Dink i will take you up on that offer.

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Bryan did you take it apart to see? If the silver washers are "flat"and not "cupped" that aint your problem. You could just have a build-up of oil on the washers from over lubricating.If thats the case just wash them with Dawn dishwashing soap and a cloth or soft bristle tooth brush. Even cupped washers should put on some drag it will just be "jerky" and not smooth.You need to keep the washers free of oil. they should be dry at all times. I have a 6500 trophy also, If you want I can look at it. Or save some shipping and I'll look at it at the gathering. You just won a new reel right? you can get along without it for a month. LOL