Help training coon dog

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by kickin_wing, Jan 29, 2008.

1. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ive got a 2 year old black and tan. She will follow tracks and absolutely goes nuts on a trapped coon, but when i take her hunting she will run a coon up a tree but if she cant see the coon she will leave the tree and not bark. Any suggestions?

2. ShannonLane4

ShannonLane4 Member

State:
    TN
    How many have u shot out on her

3. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    first and foremost tie her up as soon as you get there and don't let her get in habit of milling around the tree. Pet her up real good while you are there to get her excited. If you see her off of the tree while you are on the way "get her attention" and make sure she gets back on the tree. Sometimes you get dogs that are good track dogs and never make more than that and sometimes you have good tree dogs that can never run a track. If they can't make the grade better to get rid of them and get you something you can use

4. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Austin. Do you have someone else you can go with that has a tree dog? When I use to train hounds and had one that wouldn't stay at the tree. I would take it with my old hound that treed really well. If the young dog wouldn't stay on the tree I would snap it on a lead and walk away from the tree about 30 feet and tie it up. I would couch the old dog to tree really hard. This would make the young dog jealous or upset that it could get to the tree. After a couple of times of this they would normally get on that tree and stay there.

5. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Ive Run dogs on bears Mountain Lions Coons and everything in between i have seen this before with young dogs. best way i know to work on it is with a more seasoned tree dog but like was said above if not as soon as you hit the tree tie her there. try shootin some over her as well shell start to get shes still a young dog

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    roger has the best idea i know of give it a try :roll_eyes:

7. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ive shot 4 or 5 out to her and i guess i just need to keep it up. Ill try tyeing her up to the tree next time. On occasion i get to hunt with a good treeing dog so ill also try that idea also. Thank you all for your knowledge.

8. chadf

chadf New Member

State:
    Bossier, La
    If she likes to get the fur once you shoot it out then don't shoot any more coon to her that she doesn't stay treed on. tie her back and let her watch the other dogs get the reward. if she won't stay treed then she doesn't need the reward just let her watch. try this a couple of times and see if she won't tighten up. I've done this to a few young dogs that started milling around and they got the hint real quick. i wouldn't even talk to them just hook em up about 40 feet away and go pet up the others and give'em the meat.

9. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    thats ur problem right there. see shes got it in her head that once you get there, the fun is over and shes gotta go find another tree.. besides.. whats the point of stayin on the tree if ur not gonna get the coon thats hidin up it right? whenever she trees a coon, tie her up and make sure you pet her up reall good so she knows she done good, then shoot the coon out and when let her go chew on the coon for a while. keep doin that and itll fix ur problem

10. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    if she has been worked on a lot of cagged coons in the day time you could have a very hard time getting her to tree at night. you might try working her on a cagged coon at night. get her excited about the coon then pour about a half a gallon of water on the coon and let it go. give it about a 2 minute head start and let her go . follow her and try to get to the tree asap. tie her up to the tree and shake the coon out to her. it might also help to tie her at the tree and get as many live coon down on her as you can. she might eventually figure out there up the tree even when she can't see them. one other thing to much cage work/ drag work is a bad thing for young dogs if over done in day light.

11. bambam77

bambam77 New Member

State:
    nc
    Roger and Chad hit it on the head.... The only thing I would ad is when you get her tied to that tree use a squaller. It helps pump the dogs up !!!!!! I've trained Black & Tans all my life and seen this before. I've attached a pic of my three month old....he's never hunted due to being buried alive at birth but he's got a great bloodline !!!

Attached Files:

12. bambam77

bambam77 New Member

State:
    nc
    Another pic of my Hound... He was buried alive by a police officer who breed championship caliber dogs. He buried the whole litter of nine pups and left them for dead. His own daughter reported him and recovered the pups. I could not help but adopt this dog after what he had been through. He also had kennel cough and pneumonia when i picked him up from animal control but he's a Hoss now !!!! I think he's been through enough so he's a spoiled lap dog now !!!!!!!!!

13. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    your dog was BURIED ALIVE?! thats not right brother. atleast put the thing out of its misery!