Help targeting flathead catfish on Tennessee River

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by paleocaver, Mar 14, 2006.

1. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I've fished the Tennessee River either Wheeler or Pickwick all my life. I'm confident I can catch blues and channels just about anytime. What I can't seem to pattern are flatheads. Since I use live bait almost exclusively and catch blues, but rarely a flat, I'd bet they don't hand out in the same areas.

Let me describe a two-mile stretch of river: It has maximum depth of 60', though that's just in a hole or two. I'd say average depth is around 35. This is an impounded TVA lake, though at this location it still retains the river characteristics (lots of current). The original channel is about half the width of the current channel. The flats above the channel are around 8 to 12 feet deep.

There are many bends in the river here. At most outside bends are bluffs with lots of rocky bottoms and the deepest holes. The rest of the bottoms are a mix of hard clay with rocks here and there. The non-bluff shorelines are tree-lined with lots of blowdowns laying in the shallows. There are a couple of feeder streams, one a small river.

Given this limited info, where should I be targeting the flats.