Help skunk odor

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by zappaf19, Aug 31, 2006.

1. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    My dog got sprayed by a skunk. I did not know it when I opened the door to let him in and he ran past me and started rolling on the couch and carpet in the living room. We have tried "skunk off", tomatoe juice, stuff off the net... HELP! My wife is soooooooo MAD! I would sleep in the dog house but it stinks too. :bad_smelly:
    Bill

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

A vinegar and oatmeal bath for the dog, I have no idea about the sofa other than it may be time for a new one. You may check the " Myth Busters" web site for info I know they conducted test for skunk oder removal.

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'd say Schewell's for the couch and Jewery and flowers for the wife!

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Oh man that is some bad news. I really don't know how you would get that stink off the furniture.

5. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Sorry to here about your couch and carpet, all I can say is good luck.
    The dog will get over it.

6. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Some vet, supplys carres some stuff, might work, skunk smell is activated by water, that makes a dog you think is over it, then gets wet, and smell comes back will leave may take a while, Whish I coud tell you of a quick fix but I cant, might try a powder, on dog.
    Jim

7. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I will try the oat meal. Oh man it has been raining here and your not kidding when you say it gets worse when wet!
    Bill

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Try mixing Hydrogen Pexroxide and Arm and Hammer baking soda then take your wife out to dinner and get her some flowers might take care of your problem:cool2:

9. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    1. Mix 4 c. hydrogen peroxide with 4 tbsp. baking soda and 1 tsp. dish-washing soap.

2. Put cotton balls in your pet's ears to protect the inner-ear tissue from the cleaning mixture, which could easily drip in.

3. Don rubber gloves to protect your hands during this process.

4. Start with your pet's head, taking care not to get the solution into his eyes, ears or mouth. Apply a drop of olive or baby oil to his eyes to prevent irritation.

5. Rub the mixture evenly into your pet's coat. It will probably be more pleasant to do this outdoors.

6. Rinse the coat with clean water.

7. Repeat if the smell persists.

10. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    Hey Zapp I Have a carpet cleaning bIz I may have some stuff That might work On your carpet and upholstery.Cant help you with the dog tho E-mail me your shipping adders and I will ship you some.It comes in a powder you will need to mix it a garden sprayer and you will need a wet dry vac.

11. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Talk about a good PMF. You got it. thats the kind that leaves a taste in your mouth. LOL.
    Dog will get over it.
    I think its time to go shopping. have a fire sale. :roll_eyes:
    Good luck.

12. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I feel for you brother and your wife, that'll leave a bad taste on the tongue.:0a33:

13. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I was just sitting here last night reading this thread and thinking man that must suck. This morning a few of us were going goose hunting and we're ready to pull away from the boat ramp and my buddy's lab hops in the boat and starts wallering around the boat rubbing his snout all over our waders, blind bags, gun cases and on my boat blind when all of the sudden the three of us start dry heaving at the same time. The dog apparently got a direct spray right in the face before hopping in the boat. We sat there for over four hours with the dog in the boat because my buddy didn't want to tie the dog up on the bank behind us. Now my garage smells like a skunks a$$ and I have all my gear out there until I can figure out how I'm going to get the smell out of everything including the boat. I hate skunks!!!:hell_boy:

14. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Bad Luck hun, but I have heard that the odor can last up to 2 years! You really like your buddy...or duck hunting :lol:.

15. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    My black lab seems to be attracted to the smell of skunks, he has been sprayed a few times so I went to petsmart and bought this solution that you put directly on the dog and rub in. It also works on anything else that has the odor on it, it neutralizes the odor immediately. I highly recommend it.

Attached Files:

16. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    When I was working in a warehouse, one of our trucks hit a skunk.
    We were to told to use a douche (vinegar) (I think we used three), just take it and squirt it around the inside of the trailer.

I thought they were nuts, but it worked?

I don't know how it would work on carpets and furniture, but it worked on the trailer?

Ken

17. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Summers Eve will do wonders for the dog and the furniture, dose him down good then rinse him off. No other comments but it does work..............Doc

18. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Dave the vinger and oat meal worked try that. (sorry about jinxing you)We did the Hygrenproxide too. My dog has has so many baths he is squeeky clean.
    I bought "skunk off" for 10$ and had no luck with it. You will have to wash the stuff a few times. Thanks to everyone that had a solution or comment.
    Bill

19. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    How do you mix that concoction up and what is the consistency like? I need something that I can scrub on and hose off.