Help setting up lowrance 510c

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by bnt55, Apr 4, 2009.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I took the boat out today and tried out my new Lowrance 510c sonar....not so good. I installed the unit about 18" away from the outboard but it seems like I am getting an unusual amount of clutter throughout the screen. When I try to set the sensitivity down then I lose any fish arches, the clutter seems to go away at about 60%-70% sensitivity:confused2:. ShouldI try moving the trnsducer away from the engine more? I suppose there is alot of tweaking in order to get these things working correctly....any help is appreciated!

Bill

2. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I wonder if you're getting electical interference? I just bought a LMS 522c IGPS and so far so good but I had a friend help dial it in. I would get out on the water and then call Lowrance, they were more than helpful when I had a small issue with mine. I keep my sensitivity at 78% and no problems. Like I said, give Lowrance a call and see what they say. I do get some clutter when I first start the motor or rev the motor, pretty sure its electrical noise but it goes away. Chris

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Bill!! I have the same locater too! Lowrance 510C color unit. I would suggest moving the transducer further away from the boat prop. Usually you will get some interference when running at full speed too.

Definently call Lowrance for some professional advice. I just bought my unit last year and I'm still tinkering around to fine tune it. Good luck and I hope it works out for you!!

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bill, when you turn down the sensitivity, you probably aren't really losing anything important. Those arches you're getting are probably small baitfish. Turn off auto sensitivity on your menu, and set the surface clutter filter to 'low', then adjust your sensitivity down from 100% until you get rid of most of the noise, but schools of baitfish will still show. You can play with it from there. I would do this before moving the transducer again. 18" should be enough on most boats.
    I run my sensitivity at 60 - 80% most of the time, but water conditions dictate how I set it. The auto setting is ok, but manual allows you to fine tune a little better. This pic doesn't have the surface clutter turned off, but the sensitivity is set to clear up the screen and still see the 5 hook sabiki rig on the bottom in 35+ feet.
    [​IMG]

5. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I will give that a try, I was under the impression that I shouldnt go below the 80% on sensitivty from what I read in the instructions? I also get some bad interferance when I start up the motor and I lose the bottom at full speed, I will adjust the transducer down a little to compensate. I guess I am a little miffed because the unit doesnt portray the same picture as in the brochures:smile2:. I will take it out and try again...

Bill

6. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    It will, I keep tweeking mine and just reset it when i mess it up bad. Its a good unit, I still take the book with me to read almost a year later.