Help rigging my pole

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by JEEPER, Mar 28, 2009.

1. JEEPER

JEEPER New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Hey Guys
    I am new on here and I live on Oologah lake and have done so for 14 years but never catfished with a pole before. Growing up I have set trotline and love to limbline so I know a bit about that but need help on rigging up my pole. I will try my best to word this as ez as I can and not make it so long but I have alot to ask.
    River Fishing for Cats
    1. Line on my reel-- What brand, type, test?
    2. What size swivel?
    3. What size sinker?
    4. What brand, type, test for my lead?
    5. How long dose a lead need to be?
    6. What size hooks and brands are good?
    Lake fishing for Cats
    1. Same qustions as above?
    2. Would someone go into type of places on the lake to fish as far as winter time fish these types and this deep spring time, summer time, dog days.
    3. What baits are good for blues and channel cats do you like.
    Below The Dam
    1. Same as above
    2. Is there a better way to rig a pole than string to top of swivel, bottom of swivel lead to hook and lead from top of swivel with sinker.
    3. Types of bates you like below the dam.
    Sorry for asking so much but am really new at this catfishing with a pole and I have a young son dieing for me to take him catfishing and help would be of great help and I Thank you all.
    Thanks guys it's great to have found this website.
    P.S. I have a boat if that help on place to get in diff. seasons on the Lake and River

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thats alot to answer, someone from Oklahoma will be along shortly to help you , and may even take you with them and show you all the tricks. Im sure you'll be just fine. Check out the member library too. :cool2:

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Welcome to the BOC bro! Im not from Oklahoma but I think that I may be able to help ya out...1st I'd ask you what type of catfishfish you're after? If you're after flatheads or channels I catch either on the same set up...as for blues, Im clueless...

Im sure you got a good sturdy rod so I wont go into that part...

-Im partial to using heavy braided line. I go with 50lb. power pro or spider wire. Some folks on here go much lighter but fish heavy cover so the heavy line is essential in my opinion.
    -My weight is 2-3oz egg sinker. I dont worry anymore about putting anything on the line to prevent the weight from sliding down to the bait. A catfish wont know a weight from a rock so dont sweat it.
    -Hook size...again, Im usually looking for flatheads so I go with a pretty good sized hook. 6/0 to 8/0. What ever size, just make sure you got a wide enough gap to get a good hook up.
    -Bait type and size...I use bluegill, live AND dead. If live, I hook the fish just under the dorsal fin. If cut bait, it doesnt really matter as long as you have enough point EXPOSED NOT BURIED.

I hope that this help you out. Good luck and happy fishing!

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Welcome to the BOC bro! Im not from Oklahoma but I think that I may be able to help ya out...1st I'd ask you what type of catfishfish you're after? If you're after flatheads or channels I catch either on the same set up...as for blues, Im clueless...

Im sure you got a good sturdy rod so I wont go into that part...

-Im partial to using heavy braided line. I go with 50lb. power pro or spider wire. Some folks on here go much lighter but fish heavy cover so the heavy line is essential in my opinion.
    -My weight is 2-3oz egg sinker. I dont worry anymore about putting anything on the line to prevent the weight from sliding down to the bait. A catfish wont know a weight from a rock so dont sweat it.
    -Hook size...again, Im usually looking for flatheads so I go with a pretty good sized hook. 6/0 to 8/0. What ever size, just make sure you got a wide enough gap to get a good hook up.
    -Bait type and size...I use bluegill, live AND dead. If live, I hook the fish just under the dorsal fin. If cut bait, it doesnt really matter as long as you have enough point EXPOSED NOT BURIED.

I hope that this help you out. Good luck and happy fishing!

5. JEEPER

JEEPER New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Hey Flateheadhunter33
    Thanks for helping me out. I was looking for a set up for blues but you did help me on the flatehead side.
    Good luck fishing.
    Thanks

6. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC MIke. You came to the best place for all your catfishing knowledge.

7. okiefishkiller

okiefishkiller New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    heavy everything under the dam. i can talk faster than i can type, so send me a pm w/ a numbr

8. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Welcome Mike; Most people here on Eufaula use a barrel swivel / leader rig with your choice of sinker. Also a dropper rig aka. a river rig, tie a big overhand knot in the main line, say 6" or so then drop down 1'-2' tie on your weight. Kahle hooks or wide gap Octopus are both good hooks with some prefering the Circles. Rods ; any good 8'-9'-10' rods spooled with 20lb. line is a good starter outfit spinning or casting....good luck!!