Help resizing images

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by gebs, Mar 31, 2006.

1. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm working on uploading a couple pics, but I can't get the size small enough to upload w/o losing too much info.

Thoughts?

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    what type of images?? If it is a drawing, or something of that nature, break it up into several smaller images that would make up the whole

3. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It's 2 Jpegs. I've cropped them as tight as I can, but the size is too large. They're currently 640x550 and uploads can't be bigger than 500x400.

4. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    email me the pictures to tannermorrow@gmail.com...i'll fix you up.

5. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I have been using Irfanview for several years and I really like it. Go to this website and download it for free. You can manipulate pictures easily with this program. If you need help with Irfanview, I'll be glad to help as I'm sure many others here could help too. Also, I could resize the pics if you'd like.

http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm

6. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    you said you cropped them, look in the toolbar for RESIZE
    that will let you reduce the size of the picture

7. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That did it. I now understand the difference between resize and crop. Thanks.

8. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I resized some jpegs to the correct size but when I uploaded them it said that they were and invalid file and changed them to .bmaps. When I look at them on my drive they are still jpegs. Any help on this?

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I agree, Irfanview is an excellent progam.:)

10. scuffy

scuffy New Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I just downloaded Irfanview. I like it its fast and easy.

Thanks,
    Steve

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    gargoil77, I suspect that your resized and/or renamed pics were saved in another location. It's best not to change the original picture, but save changed versions of it till you get what you want. Then you can delete everything except what you want to keep. Often, I'll keep the original picture saved at it's original size just in case I ever want to make a blown-up copy. While working on a pic, I keep all the different versions of the pic separate by adding a number to the name of the pic, such as bigcat1, biccat2...bigcat15, etc. When you resize a picture down a good bit, then blow the smaller pic up to make a larger version, you lose definition (sharpness, focus, pixels). When you are ready to save an edited picture on Irfanview, be sure to use 'save as', so you can save it under a different name, leaving the original intact, just in case you need to start over or something. When you're doing the 'save as' thing, be sure to check for two things: look at the extension after the dot/period; it should be .jpg unless you have a reason for using some different extension; and check the path showing where the saved picture will be stored so you can find it, and change it if necessary before saving.