Help - Remove Smoke from Fire Burn?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by r ward, Jan 11, 2006.

1. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Two days ago fire burned a apartment in my daughters building gutted the apartment no body hurt the problem is my daughters stuff and the whole apartment was filled with smoke so the smell is still in her stuff what can take care of the problem please she needs suggestions thanks in advance

2. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Clothes would be the easiest, bleach the whites, and Arm & Hammer the rest(Tide works real well also), or try an industrial strength detergent. As for the rest of her things, she might try alot of fresh air to help eliminate the odor.

Ray

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I have found that sports wash in the sports dept at walley world works good in getting the smell out of clothes and bed linen.
    As for the house just lay some stockings around in hidden places filled with some cheap charcoal this will take it away in awhile.

4. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    There is a product that I hear works very well for smoke damage. It is made by "HotShot" and it is similar to a bug bomb. It is made to remove smoke damage after fires. If you want more info about it send me a PM and I will locate some and give you the details.
    David Frantz

5. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Did she by any chance have renters insurance? If so, I'd get as much replaced as possible due to smoke damage.
    Rat

6. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    I had a furnace blow up on me at my last home.The insurance company paid for the cleanup.People who came told me the only sure way to rid the smoke smell from the rooms was a complete wash down of the walls and ceilings with a good mild detergent.The rugs and furniture also had to be professionally cleaned.With a crew of five people it took three days for them to get this done .The house was 3BR,LR,and kitchen.28'x56'.There is'nt any way to get the fine film off without a wash down.
    BILL

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You can wash down the walls, or one company makes a chemically treated brick-shaped sponge specifically designed to remove smoke & smell from walls, etc. Also, there are chemicals specifically designed to be dispersed from a fogger, so that the chemicals penetrate all nooks & crannys, just like the smoke did. Depending on how bad the smoke was, it may have gotten into the insulation, and even penetrated the wood. Fixing this problem requires removing and discarding the old insulation, painting the wood with a sealer, such as Kilz, and installing new insulation.

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Richard, Sorry to hear about your daughter's home. My son home was in the same situation but I can not remember what he did to cover up the smell. I will ask soon.

9. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    the response is appreciated will look into all suggestions as for the renters insurance no such luck

10. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Richard, I smoke so I use a product called RESOLVE on my furniture and carpet..seems to work OK.