Help! Raising Feeder Goldfish

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Abu, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    Here is a photo of the setup I just put together quick tonight. Click To See Feeder Goldfish Setup. Please take a look at my Aqua-Pure filter media and the water running over it. Is the water running too fast to buildup bacteria colonies to kill ammonia? Seems like it should be sprayed on the filter media to cover as much of the filter media as possible. The flexible hose tubing is going to be replaced with something for a neater job. Should I replace the hose with 1/2" or 3/4" drilled pvc pipe running the length of the cooler or would a sprinkler hose be even better? The filter media is two layers thick, should it be thicker? Should I feed these small 1-2" feeders goldfish flakes? How often should they be fed? Would it help to add a little aquarium salt to the setup? I have ammo-lok and the ammonia level is almost 0 without adding any Ammo-Lok to it. How long will it take for the ammonia to start building up. With the help of several BOC members I built a huge chest freezer with filters and a recirculating pump I keep big goldfish in and I think they can live through about anything but this is my first attempt at raising feeders. Hopefully I will get them big enough to transfer to the big tank. If I were to put the small feeders in with the 6-10" goldfish would the big ones kill or eat the feeders? I have a bubble bar in the bottom of the cooler. Anything I am missing or that would help please let me know. I know this is a ton of questions. But any and all help is appreciated. I really love doing these types of projects and learning all I can.
    Abu

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    two layers of media is sufficent. one should be thick and course for large particals and the other thin and fine to trap small ones.

bacteria will grow in and on hoses after time even in swift water.

ammonia levels should be reg monitered. the more fish the more often. once a month should be sufficent. every two weeks to be safe.

the large goldfish will not harm the small feeders. they are a community fis. means they will live peacfully with all non aggressive fish.

aquarium salt will promote a healthier environment. follow man direction for amount to add.

flakes will be fine for them. they soften and can be eaten easily. feed at least once daily. feed no more than the fish can consume in 5 min is the general rule. access clouds water.

hope this helps.

3. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    Helps alot Jerm. Thank you. I will put the feeders in the big tank with the bigger goldfish. John

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jeremy gave you excellent info. I would only add that you should do partial water changes based on the nitrate levels in the water. The ammonia is converted into nitrite by bacteria and then other bacteria convert the nitrIte into nitrAte. High levels of nitrAte are bad for the fish. Test strips are a good way to keep an eye on the levels. If you use salt be sure to add the appropriate amount to the water you are putting back in and if it is tap water dont forget to add the conditioner. Goldfish are very dirty fish and need to be kept clean. They are also quite smart and will soon get used to feeding time. Don't let them fool you that they are still hungry, they will beg and beg. If in doubt underfeed them...W

5. omots2

omots2 New Member

State:
    abrerdeen md
    I have a few tanks that i keep and i find for best helth i limet one gold fish per ggallon of water do a 5 minut feeding ond monter the omoina once a week

6. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    one of my best friends runs a pet shop an i have a 55 fresh water an a 44 gal salt water tank. i have had my fish for about 6 years now an have only lost fish that were eatin by other fish. but any ways it is rule for 1 inch of fish per gal of water but you can bet this with extra airation ( power heads ) an/or an extra sorce of bringing more oxygen into the water. a little salt to fresh water fish premotes healthy electrolites ( red part of gills that separate oxy from water) . as far as feeding i do not an would not recomend feeding more than every other day. this will make your fish feed more agresavely an keep them healther, because you need to give fish time to digest food. if you ask any pet store gold fish are not a very active fish an prefer water temps from 74 to 76 degrees. hope this helps ya tight lines

7. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    Thanks to everyone for all the help. I will be putting a heater in and keeping the water much warmer than I have it now. I am also going to buy a small powerhead filter to slowly recirculate water over the filter media, burnt up 3 elcheapo 12 volt pumps already. All sizes of goldfish are living happily together in the big chest freezer now. The 650GPH recirculating pump is still going strong, I guess alot of the times you get what you pay for. Abu