Help quick

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by ka_c4_boom, Jun 15, 2006.

1. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i have a 1983 40hp mariner runs great but the last time out it would rev high but wouldnt get up on plain i checked the water outlet it seems ok water still jets out it was running round 26 mph earlier that day then all at once dropped to 5 mph and reved high like something stoping water intake cant see anything wrong there any suggestions appreciated

2. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    If its shooting water fine then your water pump sounds ok. It sounds like you've spun the hub. It has a rubber hub in the prop that will spin if its hit something to keep from damaging the lower. If its reving high rpms and you can tell its shifted into gear the first thing i'd look at is the hub in the prop. Did you notice if you hit anything last time out? Mine has done it and not once did i notice if i hit anything. That would be the first thing i'd look at.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I got a 40 manual.Hopefully your prop has spun the rubber bushing in it.Most outboard shops (all mercury) should be able to have it re bushed for you IF the housing is not cracked.If this is not it,you may have gear or clutch problems.#1-Switch it off.#2-remove plug wires off of plugs,#3-put in gear.#4-see if you can spin prop while prop nut stays still.#5-If you can,you need it re bushed.#6-if you cain;t,you may still need to,as the 5 mph.shows that it is grabbing some.#7-if you can spin your prop and prop nut when in gear.,it is gear train or clutch.If the prop has been on since 83,you may need professional help and tools in removing prop.Even then,it may be destroyed.I had this happen last year.Luck,peewee-williams

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    sounds like you lost your bushing in the prop to me.

5. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I forgot to add.I would replace a water pump impeller if it is that old.If it fails,you could destroy your motor.My 40 is great on gas consumption at 2/3 throttle.peewee-williams

6. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    charles, u talking about a jet lower unit????? if it is a prop, like they said , u have spun it................ easy fix and not too expensive.....

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah its a prop moter and i have a mariner manual goin to check moter thruoght this weekend i let every one know what it was least now i know what to check thanks guys,wish me luck cause mine sucks :lol:

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    everything checked out good must be the prop ,what do you think should i replace prop with stainless or continue useing aloy ?

9. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve Well-Known Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    See if you can barrow a prop to make sure that is problem if it is I prefer aluminum might save you a lower unit down the road or river. GOOD LUCK

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    thanks guys i bought new prop today it was high but having my old one rebuilt for a spare to keep in the boat ,went with the aloy with 14 degree pitch ,she runs faster than before had 10 inch chop on the river still got up to 32 by myself didnt know till bought the prop that just cause it says mariner on the cow its actualy a tiahatsu ,ared to run forever the dealer said plus he showed me how to check for spun prop the next time .good luck to all of you and thanks for your help ....rep to all

11. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Can you let us in on what the dealer showed you?You might can help us all.peewee-williams

12. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    charles , just a little piece of advice........... make sure u pack a spare prop nut and cotter pen with the new prop, plus a wrench .................... been there done that.......sick feeling to loose a prop and realize i wasn't smart enough to know i was gonna loose the nut and pen too...............

13. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah peewee he removed cowl cover grabbed the fly wheel with both hands and stepped up on prop with moter in gear he said if it is spun it will most like spin under a bind and it did . now i wouldnt recomend doin this without pullin plug wires but he didnt seem to care.

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Looks like you guys took good care of him.

I have checked a few props like that but don't care to.
    I am going to draw up a way to do it with a magic marker and see if one of the mods will post it in the sticky section.

15. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Thanks,peewee-williams