Help Promote Trophy Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by catfishjoey, Jan 8, 2010.

1. catfishjoey

catfishjoey New Member

State:
    VA/OK
    I'm currently a Graduate Student at Oklahoma State University doing research on delayed catch & release mortality of blue catfish... The project I'm working on is funded by the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation and the goal here is to promote greater numbers of trophy-sized blue cats in Oklahoma lakes & rivers.

Blue catfish exhibit indeterminate growth, meaning they continue to grow throughout their lifespan, and larger fish tend to be very old; often 20 to 30 years of age. That being said, it takes a LONG time for these trophy-fish to replenish themselves.

To promote greater numbers of these larger fish, ODWC is considering the implementation of new legislation requiring jugliners and trotliners to release some of these larger fish (30"+) so that recreational fisherman will have a greater chance of experiencing these impressive animals. Before they can implement the law, they need to be sure that these fish survive the release process. While catfish are known to be fairly durable animals, their mortality rates are unknown. Furthermore, Oklahoma law only requires jugliners to check their lines every 24 hrs; this obviously lengthens the amount of time the fish will be struggling and decreases its chance of survival.

While some jugliners and trotliners may be upset by this new legislation, it is well-known that smaller fish taste better and are healthier to consume since they contain fewer contaminants (PCB's and Methyl-mercury). So why not release some of the bigger ones?

My job is to catch several hundred of these larger blue cats (30" or greater) on juglines and see how well they recover/survive the release process. To do this I need to find lakes and rivers that have GOOD NUMBERS of these larger fish. If you think you know some places where I can catch some of these larger fish please send me a personal message. I'm not asking you to reveal your "honey hole" but some help would be very much appreciated. All these animals will be monitored for 72 hrs and released (assuming they survive). Thank you for any assistance you can give me.

2. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i was under the the assumption that the law was already implemented, and how do you plan on monotoring the fish for 72 hours and where and how?

3. foghorn

foghorn New Member

State:
    Wagoner Ok
    Ft.Gibson seems to have a good amount of blues. I see lots of big blues below the dam area in warmer weather. I dont know about this time of year as i dont fish much in the cold. I like the warmer weather lol

Foggy :smile1:

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla

Good question on the monitoring. Unless something has changed in the last month the 30" rule did pass.

5. rigrunner(236)

rigrunner(236) New Member

State:
    Ft Cobb Lake, Oklahoma
    Yes, the 30" rule is in the new regulations book, under new changes.

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Aww man what a terribel job you have on your hands...dont know what id do if i had to catch 30"+ blues on jugs all day lmao

good luck brotha!

7. catfishjoey

catfishjoey New Member

State:
    VA/OK
    Yeah you guys are right! The law has already been put into effect: http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/fishregs/dailylimit.htm Unfortunately ODWC likes to work backwards, and implement laws before knowing with certainty whether or not they will be effective.

SO allow me to clarify.... There are doubts as to whether these fish can survive on juglines for upwards of 24 hrs... The "only 1 fish over 30 inches'' rule will obviously stay in place for rod & reel fisherman, but if we find that these large fish die on these juglines there is no point in making the fishermen release them- that would be a waste.... If we find that a large percentage of these fish do die, ODWC may adjust the regulations for jugliners and limit the soak time (they currently only have to be checked every 24 hrs) or the number of lines allowed per fisherman (currently 20) or even number of hooks per line (currently 5) to promote greater numbers of trophy fish.

When they gave us the grant money to do this project they had NOT YET implemented the law... Apparently now they have... I guess they are just hoping that our research will support the law... But if not, I guess there could be more changes in the future...

I still need to catch several hundred large fish to do this experiment... Any assistance on you could give me would be great!

Thanks for your responses....

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  8. catfishjoey

catfishjoey New Member

State:
    VA/OK

monitoring will be done in both the wetlab (at OSU) and within holding cells within the body of water at which the animal was captured. Control specimens will be captured via electro-fishing to eliminate potential error.

9. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Sounds like a great study and great job all for a great cause, congrats and thanks, but what I have come to find personally is while LAWS are good (some) the problems arent "fixed" or even "helped" by the LAWS. It's enforcing the LAWS were the "resolution" to a problem lies. And I'm curious as to how they would "enforce" the checking of jug lines less than 24 hrs or whatever. How in the heck are they gonna know how long the jugs have been there "unchecked" and how much money is the county or city gonna be willing to spend for boats fuel salerys for the men and women too enforce it. Not at all discounting what you are doing KEEP IT UP, but just think that in "theory" the laws and actions sound great but in "reality" will they change anything ????

10. Mudbug007

Mudbug007 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This should be interesting, to say the least.

First off, why does the ODWC think that juglines and trotlines are leading to a high mortality among Blues?

While I and others I know catch some nice Blues on juglines, my biggest Blues come from rod & reel. Being mobile and having the ability to precisely place bait with a rod & reel in conjunction with using a quality sounder has helped me and others land big Blues (those over 30") much more regularly than with jugs and trotlines.

I'd say that if the ODWC is really worried about big Blue mortality rates, then take a closer look at Guides and Tournaments. It seems they're barking up the wrong tree...again.

I hope you find some people to help you out. I'd like to but I don't have the time like I used to. :(

Good Luck,

Don

11. themychal

themychal New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    being from california I don't like this AT ALL. I know what people like you do, i've seen it for years on end. You slowly implement new rules and regulations on fishermen. next we wont be able to use jug lines at all, after that we wont be able to use cut bait cuz it will be "unfair to the fish". I have seen your type and I wish you nothing but failure my friend, let us manage our own waters, we aren't fools, i dont think oklahoma has any problem producing lunker catfish and so far they've done a pretty good job keeping their waters relatively free, you won't help that. It may seem harsh but its the truth, I like my liberties and no government employee is gonna help them, especially when the ODWC is pressured by liberal earth-first propagandists. I speak for me and me only when I say, get to steppin.

12. rigrunner(236)

rigrunner(236) New Member

State:
    Ft Cobb Lake, Oklahoma
    brian88b, thats some good thoughts! Well said!

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Now you guys lay off him. He did say he was at OSU. LOL

14. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    This sounds like a bunch of BS, just like the new 30in rule. It won't be long before rod and reel will be the only method allowed for blue cats. I guess the country boys in this state will have to take up basket weaving because were gonna have so many laws concerning catfish, they won't be worth the trouble.

15. themychal

themychal New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    exactly master archer, people don't understand that it is progression toward more BS laws. I dont care if he is from OSU, or mars, I don't support what he is doing at all. My tax dollars are getting wasted on idiots.

16. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    The only time in my experience that catifsh...blues especially will die off juglines is in the heat of the summer. They will die quickly from the hot water and lack of O2. If you run lines during the heat of the summer they can die big or small within an hour or two at most. Putting them in a livewell and they will die quicker... I always end up keeping a ice chest in the boat during summer months if I plan to harvest any blues. The heat will kill them quick.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  17. coyote

coyote New Member

State:
    Verdigris, Ok
    Ditto,
    In the winter time I have seen them live for hours out of the water in an ice chest or other container with nothing but a lid on the container to keep them from drying out. I have seen them die on a jug line in the summer when it was set a couple of feet below the thermocline by accident. We always stay with our jugs and take them up when we go home. No overnight or weekends mindlessly floating around. The only jug I have ever lost was on the river. Set it out, turned my back to get another one and when I looked for the jug it was gone. I assumed it was pulled under and hung up on some kind of structure by a "good ol bigun".

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010