HELP!!! please

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by veryama1975, Feb 13, 2008.

1. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    We just got our tax return & I'm going to get another reel (I hope...wife doesn't know it yet.) I'm new to baitcasting & I just got myself an Abu Garcia 6000 at Wal-mart. I love it and I want another Abu.

From everything that I have read I think that I want an abu 6500. However, there are so many variations on the 6500 that I'm not sure which one to get. I'd like advice on precisely which 6500 to get or advice on some other abu that you think is best (I want to stick with just Abu Garcias for now.)

Also, I've got an 8ft 2-piece Ugly Stik for my primary cat rod. I like it but would like to get something even better & more durable in the $150 price range on down (preferably less than $100). I want my new rod to be 8ft or longer. I like the looks of the Catfish Safari rods but they are one piece. I know 1-piece is probably better & more durable than 2-piece but I don't want a 1-piece because it would be just too long & awkward for me to transport. If Catfish Safari came out with a good 2-piece rod, I'd be a lot more interested.

Thank you very much for any help!
    :big_smile:

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Matt, If you want a heavy duty reel for flatheads, that you can also use for 1 pound channels, get a 7000 ABU. If you absolutely have to have a two piece rod, get a catt maxx. I have seen and casted them. They are very sturdy, well constructed rods. I use 7ft 6 inch rods from bank and boat and do not need anything longer.

Don't limit yourself to one length of rod or one type of reel before you try a few others. Hook up with a couple guys around where you live and see what they have and use. Don't waste your money on something you will have to replace in a year or 2.

3. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Matt if you really want a 6500 try the 6500c3 but i suggest the 7000ic3 its made more for bigger fish but its a monster of a reel. Also i have some cat max 1 piece rods and they are really good rods.

4. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use a 6500c3 and 7 1/2' Ugly Stick Tiger Rod...Very Happy with the combo...I am going to purchase another one in a week or so...My wife and kids like to use spinning reals and I have a few cheap ones that work ok for the average fish...Just like the feel of the bait caster and Ugly Stick...They are my go to rods...

5. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    They do have 2 piece shakespeare tiger rods. They are supposed to be good. Just bought a 2 pice spinning havent had a chance to use it. For a reel you can try a black cat from abu. They are supposed to be reel good.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    if you want another 6000 size abu another 6000 wouldnt be a bad idea their isnt a whole lot of diferences in these reels. if you want a 6500 the classic 6500c3 has the carbon fiber drag witch is better the black cat is the trophy collection witch adds some catfish bling and a power handel their is a blue one out that is gourgous id highly reccomend this one. their should be a thread with picks:eek:oooh::cool2:. as far as a rod 2pc. 8' or bigger :confused2: i think a 9' whuppin stick from cabelas would be enough rod for a 6000 size reel because the 6000s arent capable of applying enough drag to brake one so why would you need more rod:confused2::wink: cabelas are good people who stand behind their stuff and repair or replace it if you have a problem. so thats what i reccomend a tccf 6500 blue and a 9' whuppin stick witch are blue and red. about $120 for the combo.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you want a 6500 and don't want to do all the upgrades, then I'd spend a few bucks more and get a 6500 CS Pro Rocket or one of the other Rocket models. They've got the good bearings in them, and they've also got the chrome plated brass frame instead of the aluminum frame. That frame is stiffer, has less flex, and should last longer. You can get them from Catfish Connection for around 100.00. To get a regular 6500 and put the upgrades in it will cost about the same but be with the less rigid frame. JMO though.

8. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    i got one havent had much time to fish with it tho.. as the ice is still here.. but i did take it out and test it on the river casting and such as it is my first bait caster.. as for the specs..;gears are 5.3-1 adn itll hold 245yrds of 14lb tst and weighs 11.3 oz titanium line guide syncronized level rewind and anti reverse which is instant let me tell you being new this saved my but with the tangles more the once already.. i hope this helps out until i get into the bigg'ns its all i know besides so far its been great for the beginner in me.

9. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    ill have to agree with most.a i have 3 6500c3's and love em for fishing the lakes around here.i also have 4 7000c3i's for river fishing/flathead fishing.and as far as a durable rod for a reasonable price,a catfish safari rod.all 1 piece,4 different models to choose from and under 100 bucks.check out the catfish safari thread under BOC sponsors.

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    i can't say it much better, than what has been already said. the abu 6500c3 is one heck of a reel. if you are value conscious, then the 6500c3 is your reel, the ultimate would be the pro rocket model, cost a little more, but will last probably longer. as far as the rod. i'm a 1 piece rod fan. there is great 2 piece rods. just do some searching for advice!!:0a26:

11. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    The 6500CS Pro Rocket is a gem of a reel that will cast far stocked, but the 6500C3 will do everything for less. Tica UEHA series rods comes in one and two piece rods that are durable. The 7000 series reels are great for cranking in fish. Why not just get them all . . .

12. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Brandon i have been tring to find one of the blus ones. I cant even find one on the Abu website. Havent even seen a screen shot of one. Do you know where i can find one?

13. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Roger,

Here's an email I received:

Matt

The reel has been shipped from Sweden and should arrive around the last week of February.

Thanks
    Catfish Connection

I'll probably get mine from Steve at Catfish Safari, though. I believe he'll have them for the same price & he's a sponsor of the BOC.

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I use 7000's and 9000's. They dwarf the 6000 I have. They hold close to 300 yards of Power Pro 100lb test and cast very well. It's probably overkill for the fish I catch, but I was a boy scout lol! These also have the bigger handles for better cranking power.