help please

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by thecatman, Jul 2, 2009.

1. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    ok guys i'm looking for a handgun something big enough to take down a hog with if needed more so since quite a few spots on the river are rather secluded and hard to get to so i need something to shoot hogs/bobcats with any suggestions i was thinking a ruger 9mm concealed handgun

2. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Look into the Taurus Judge. You can load .410 shotshells and .45 LC and be prepared for anything!

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    this is the gun you need!! [youtubevid]FRgYtp3HfvY[/youtubevid]

4. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I would try one of these, (see attachment), seriously though wouldn't a 9mm be a little underpowered to be shooting hogs and bobcats with. I don't doubt they will kill them but will they stop them before they hurt you.

Attached Files:

5. Ran2more

Ran2more New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The Judge gets my vote. Nuttun like a 45!

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have killed hogs with my .357 and my .45. a buddy of mine killed a hog with his .40 cal too. i guess if you hit them right a 9 will kill a hog. a bobcat? definitely. personally i think there are better choices than a 9 for hogs, but that is only my opinion. my suggestion would be to practice like crazy. most folks i have seen aren't worth a dang with a handgun under pressure. i have hunted with some guys who can knock plates down all day long, but when it comes to a live animal they just sling lead everywhere. practice!

7. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    357 should do it in my opinion 45 would be a good one too i had years ago a contender in if i remember right a 357max a little more butt kick than a standard 357 not sure if that cartridge is still around as i been outta the target shootin for many years now

8. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    For hogs or possible perverts, I'd go a little larger than 9mm. I like the 45 auto, or 45 long colt, but a lot of law enforcement uses 40's.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    357 gets my vote,I owned a 357 MAX and it kicked as bad or worse than a 44 mag.

10. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Brandon I know it's not high tech, but if you don't presently own any handgun at all, I'd get a 357 first. Also, for the outdoors, there's not one darn thing wrong with a single action. The police trade in's are getting scarce, so the Ruger Blackhawk would get my vote. They are going for way under $400 herebouts. If ya can find a K or L frame S&W in good shape, yer in business....and I wouldn't want any less barrel than 4".
    :roll_eyes:
    Also don't forget how important a knife is outdoors. Many's the fella that spent his whole life in the outdoors with just wits and a good sheath knife.
    Yer a young fella. Don't worry too much. Yer a big mouthfull even for a bobcat....especially if yer carving on it.
    :smile2:

11. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    yeah i know most everything gets scared off easily but a sow with piglets or a bobcat with kittens aint no joy ride last thing they are going to do is run

12. jarhead

jarhead New Member

State:
    ohio
    there is nothing wrong with a good wheel gun and anything bigger than a 357 mag will work but if you want something with a little more rounds in it a 10mm would work to many people over look this powerfull cartridge

13. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    if you don't want something big you might consider a mini 45 ruger it's about half the size of a regular 45 my brother has one and it is a good gun

14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I dont know if id trust a 9mm to take down either.I think id go with a 357 or a .45 to be on the safe side.

15. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    im with the 357 crew!!! plus u wont have to worry bout it jamming at a time of need!!!!!:eek:oooh:

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Dont know anything about hogs but Id trust my 44 mag to get er done, abut 357 should be good too and cheaper to shoot.

17. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    so how much will a 357 run me?

18. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    9mm not kill a bobcat? Are you guys kidding me? Ok an autoloader of any caliber would probably be my last choice for hunting(site radius is too short) so if your gun is to hunt hogs go with a wheelgun like the ruger blackhawk. You could probably pick up a good used one for 350 or so. Get one with longer barrel if you can. Shoot it a lot, shoot it accurate and it will double as a (river gun) if you need it too.

19. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    Also if you get a blackhawk in 357 you can shoot 38s through it also.

20. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i got one that will kill anything in the woods...even a sasquatch!!! id go with a .454 casull:wink::smile2::big_smile: