help please

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by myers4768, Jun 22, 2009.

1. myers4768

myers4768 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    had a guy come out and look at 0 2 level in 7 1/2 ACR POND o2 level low because of lack of rain. trying to get pump set up to get air in water but i am looking for fish shocker. i am over populated very bad. need to get some fish out before i lose whole thing. all i have foung on internet say will no twork in ponds need running water. have 2 old hand crank phones and strong electrical background.. any help would be app. thank you

2. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Man thats a tuff one.I would try the phones and clear some out.Its sucks to see you loose your fish though.

3. myers4768

myers4768 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    any idea on the wireing or use of phones

4. sbrittharrell

sbrittharrell New Member

State:
    mississippi
    WHAT PART OF MISS. ARE YOU FROM? IM FROM Forest ms......

5. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    BRITT he,s talking about his private pond .an he is trying to save his fish from low oxygen levels .by removing some, for the health of the entire pond.

would u be able to seine the pond to remove some of the fish

6. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I was just going to suggest seining it. or use of a throw net?

Contact your local DNR, they may help you as well as try to save the fish if they want/need to stock them somewhere else!!!

7. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    my father in law has a old phone i wanted to try out in his pond for fun but i could not talk him into letting me take it apart but to my point i found alot of info by just doing a google search on shock fishing devices it took a little bit to find the phone method ( this was about a year ago so i dont remember any web site names )

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Id try a huge seine. Get some buddies together and drag it. You should be able to thin it out that way. :big_smile:

9. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    The seine idea is probably best, I've never used the phones, but could you create the flowing water effect with a big pump?

I know from making stock tanks into livewells that if your pond has any moss you will need a good trash pump that will not clog easily to rig an aerator too, the smaller fountain pumps clog very easily. Sorry I could not be more help. Good luck with your pond.

10. myers4768

myers4768 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    thanks to all. i have a lot of underwater stumps and brush piles. i think i will try to get phones working. all units i have found on internet say they will not work in a standing body of water ( needs flow ) . have pump and will try to get air in water. if anyone thinks of anything please write.....

thank to all again,

11. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    What about some box traps? Might help some.

I'd also contact your local DNR or Ag Ext Office. I know in some areas they will help manage ponds.

12. Infinity_Angel

Infinity_Angel New Member

State:
    Ms

My husband (myers4768) and I live near Brandon. My grandmother was a Harrell. Who are your parents and grandparents, if you don't mind me asking?

13. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I've heard stories from some who used telephones in the river back in the 60s. They said it only worked on catfish, and not on fish with scales. Electricity will work on all fish, but I guess you have to have more for fish with scales.

The telephone I saw that was once used for this was an old military field phone. The wires were hooked to the generator and were probably 10-15 ft long with short pieces of metal pipe on the ends.

I know they have fish shock that works in ponds, or at least they used to. I remember when our neighbors drained their pond over 15 years ago they used some sort of shock. I remember them putting it in the water and then we went around in a boat with a net getting the fish out. Not sure if you should use that in a pond where you don't want to remove all the fish though.