Help! please

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by rasmotherman, Apr 4, 2009.

1. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i have a 1976 sea nymph ss 170 that i recently purchased. I got it, and a 1962 40hp johnson for $800. I have already replaced the transom but have a few weak spots in the floor. i am going to completely redo the floor and add in floor storage. since it is aluminum i am not sure what wood i should use. this is my first boat and want to do it right. also, the boat came with an in and out port for a live well. any sugestions for a setup to add. I also would like to raise the front deck 2 ft to hide the livewell under. should it be rivited to the hull or put supports up from floor. thanks for any help i can get on this. i dont know where else to ask.

2. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    if you just tried to pm me on this please try again dang pop up blocker stopped it

3. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Did something similar with my big boat. Best suggestion? Get in the boat, while it's on the trailer and picture yourself out on the water, think about what is most important and write it down. Think it thru on any mods you want to make so hopefully you can do it only one time. I've been thru about 3 remakes on storage and stuff I wanted in there.

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Rick. I would check out the "Boat Modification Journals" section and look over some projects to get some ideas for your own. As far as how to mount your deck, I would try to tie it to the inner structure of your boat (ribs, bench, ect) rather than rivet or screw it to the hull skin. Post some pics as you go along, we like pics. Good luck! WRB

5. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    I intend to do just that. i already have a good idea where alot of the storage is going to go and i am sure i want the live well in the front under the deck. i just thought i would get some advice from the pros on here. this is such a usefull tool and i thank you for your input

6. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i was thinking the same thing. my father in law keeps telling me to rivet it to the side. I am busy plugging all the useless holes from previous owners. i sure dont want to add any of my own. im way to fat to have that alum hold me. i will run some 2x4s down to the bracing in the hull. thanks alot for your input.

7. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Just dont use treated lumber on your aluminum boat. The copper it is treated with will cause problems when it reacts with the aluminum.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would encourage you to not make so many modifications you ruin the design of the boat. Raise everything too much and it becomes top heavy. You may get away with it a hundred times on a windy day, but watch out for the 101st.

9. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i was considering that. i am only extending the front deck 2 and a half feet. i am also taking rivets out of the current deck and putting supports up from floor instead. I think it will only add 50#. I am thinking of going with a nice carpet instead of the indoor outdoor on there. are you guys against puting a redneck live well in? im thinking a heavy tote?

10. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    ok i put a new thread up with pics. i am going to get started. let the fun begin.:cross: