Help please on knots

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by ohio catfisherman, Aug 22, 2007.

1. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use 20 pound big game main line and 50 puond big game leader i need to know which knot is best to tie main line to swizel and which knot is best to tie leader to swizel i know how to snell hooks ive been using a clinch it ties ok with 20 pound but the 50 is really hard and i dont think the knot is as good so if you could help me out

2. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use nothing but palomar knots. Never had one fail yet.

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i agree polomar knots for swivels and sinkers and snell knots for hooks.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    First off, I don't use clinch knots at all anymore. Sometimes they are 100% and sopmetimes they aren't.

For tieing the 20 lb to the swivel I would deffinately use a Palomar. They are easy to tie and are virtually always 100%.

Tieing the heavier leader material to the swivel is a little tougher, since it is harder to get a 100% knot in line that heavy, but that's really not that big a deal, because even if you get a 50% knot, it's till going to be stronger than the 20 pound breaking strength of the mainline. I use a Uni-Knot to connect heavy line to leaders and - as you mentioned - I snell my hooks.

One thing you might want to watch for - I got a couple of batches of hooks where the wire iside the eye was a little sharp right at the end of the wire (from wher ethe machine grabbed the tip of the wire). This little sharp spot was cutting the line from the snell where it passed through the eye of the hook. I lost a couple of god fish at the boat because of this.

5. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    yeah that is a problem i have encountered before, but a good jewlers file will take care of that pretty quick. i usually sneel all of my hooks to leaders before i even head out. that way if i have a problem with a leader or a hook, i am not trying to snell in the dark, i just replace the whole leader. makes it much easier when the bit is on and it pitch black out.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I used the cinch knot for years and switched to the palomar and like it a lot better. I also use 50 lb. for my leaders and the palomar works great. If you are using hooks with up turned eyes then you will need to snell them.

7. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    The polomar knot or you could tie direct with the albright knot without the swivel.

8. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    palomar knot for everything including the turned up eyes on the hooks.

9. KG_CHawkX2

KG_CHawkX2 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I agree, palomar knots for me have been pretty fail safe, i use it on almost everything

10. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I use a palomar for swivels and straight eyed hooks....I snell the turned hook eyes with the uni-knot system....I tie my leaders to my hooks at home and have them ready to go....When I attach a leader to the swivel, I use a uni-knot...The thing to check about the knots is that some knots work great with small dia line, but won't work good with large dia. line...That's why I use the palomar/uni-knot system.....Dwight